Gelatin for clearing beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Durso81

Reaction score
So I have been reading about using gelatin to clear beer and the only question I have is after you have heated and mixed in the gelatin I've read don't let it cool and add it straight to your beer, wouldn't the hot gelatin water kill the yeast?

not unless you use 5 gallons of water to melt your geliten, and even then it proberbally wont, your be fine.

A cup of warm water added to 5 gallons of beer will not raise the temp even a degree.

The jello won't kill the yeast, but it will sink down and get mixed with the rest of the trub. If you want to collect yeast for reuse, you should do that before coating them all with jello. :)

It works best if the beer is cold when you add the gelatin. When I do use gelatin, it's at the end of a week-long cold crash in the mid 30's.

My simple gelatin process is:

-Pint of room temp water
-add gelatin
-heat to 140 or so (remember it will continue to warm in the pot, don't go over 155ish)
-dump into cold finished (un carb'ed) beer
-prime as normal

The only thing it doesn't like it being moved after the yeast trub settles. It creates flakes of gelatin.

Lewy

Back