Filter Finished Wort Through Steeping Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaerous

Reaction score
I have been considering straining or filtering my wort ever since I have begun having trouble with clogged kegs. I was wondering if it would be possible (and beneficial) to filter my finished wort through my grain bag that I used for steeping. My thought was that it would filter out a lot of the leftover solids as well as impart some final grain flavors into the wort.

What are the thoughts on this? I haven't been able to locate any topics on it.

Kaerous said:
I have been considering straining or filtering my wort ever since I have begun having trouble with clogged kegs. I was wondering if it would be possible (and beneficial) to filter my finished wort through my grain bag that I used for steeping. My thought was that it would filter out a lot of the leftover solids as well as impart some final grain flavors into the wort.

I like the idea....might start doing this myself. I'd say as long as the bag is properly sanitized you wouldn't have a problem.

use a siv or funnel + screen ...my method is when ready for bottling, I rack to another carboy and filter using screen+ funnel method 2-3 times before I actually bottle it to ensure I get the cleanest looking beer possible. Works great with Dry Hopped IPAs as you get all the crap outta the finished product. All that is left is the yeast residue from the priming sugar...give it a go I recommend it

How are you adding your hops. I use a muslin bag for my hops instead of just tossing them in. This has made a huge difference in having cleaner wort. It has no effect on the hops' flavor. Also I use a funnel with a screen inside when I transfer to the carboy. This is especially useful when you get to the bottom of your primary and lower the siphon into the stirred up trub.

I don't think using left over steeping grains is a good idea. I think you'll be risking infection. Have you tried a paint filter bag? There have to be better options.

I have tried the funnel strainer method and it's a pain in the ass. The strainer gets clogged to quickly. may think about trying a nylon steeping bag

Don't ever let grains or any grain debris touch your finished wort!

Grain is noted for having lactobacillus and stuff on it- which is fine, since you boil the wort after steeping them. But then, don't let the boiled wort touch anything unsanitary afterwards.

If you want to strain your wort, the easiest was is to buy a "paint straining" bag from the hardware store, or a very big mesh nylon bag from the homebrew store. Sanitize that, and line your fermenting bucket. Pour the wort in there, and then lift out the bag. Of course, once fermentation occurs you can't do that, because you'd ruin the beer by oxidizing it, but for wort it will help oxygenate it.

I don't strain my wort, but if I was going to, that is how I'd do it. If stuff is clogging your kegs, I'd look at process rather than straining the wort more. You shouldn't ever have "chunks" in the finished beer, although occasionally I've had some hops debris from dryhopped beers.

Thanks for all of the replies guys. I was sifting back through my threads and realized I never wrote back to you all.

Latest posts

Back