After the divorce, Simcoe and ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwkblue

Reaction score
I've always thought Simcoe and Amarillo were meant to be together...Simcoe and Citra had a nice fling. Now with the shortage of Amarillo, Citra, and Centennial....I'm looking for a new combo. I have a half pound of 2011 Simcoe remaining, and I'm looking for suggestions.

What other hops have you tried with Simcoe?

I've used Magnum for bittering with Cascade and Simcoe together as flavor/aroma and thought it was great.

Cascade doesn't get as much love with newer hops like Amarillo and Citra around, but it's still a great hop IMO and goes great with Simcoe.

Cascade and Simcoe together and thought it was great.

Cascade doesn't get as much love with newer hops like Amarillo and Citra around, but it's still a great hop IMO and goes great with Simcoe.

And cascade is always available, and about as cheap as it gets....might need to try it

Cascade and Columbus together are suppose to be like Centennial I think?

I have Columbus and Simcoe in my first IPA kegged just a couple days ago, not too bad.

It's a good combo (referring to Cascade and Simcoe). BTW, hopsdirect has Centennial pellets right now. Also a good combo as noted.

Simcoe is already a super hop, just stick with that! Get some warrior to bitter and have nice pale ale or IPA.

I love trying new hop combos, but at the risk of sounding like the "get off my lawn" guy, I don't think people investigate grain combinations and yeast strains as much as they should.

Try some rye, with an English yeast strain and see what you come up with!

I agree with Jsguitar. I've made an IPA with Magnum FWH and a buttload of Cascade/Simcoe and the combo makes for a great hop character. Also, for the wildcard vote I'd say Galaxy/Simcoe. Suuuper fruity and delicious

Simcoe is already a super hop, just stick with that! Get some warrior to bitter and have nice pale ale or IPA.

I love trying new hop combos, but at the risk of sounding like the "get off my lawn" guy, I don't think people investigate grain combinations and yeast strains as much as they should.

Try some rye, with an English yeast strain and see what you come up with!

I agree with you...BUT Simcoe/Amarillo was the hop combo I used to experiment. I knew the hop flavor and aroma would work...used it in big IPAs, little IPAs, in a few Pale Ales playing with the grain bill, and one of my favorites...an american style wheat:4lbs 2 row, 4lbs white wheat,1 lb vienna, 8 oz carapils...and 25 IBU's of amarillo simcoe with wlp001...actually drinking one of the last bottles right now.

RhythmSection said:
I agree with Jsguitar. I've made an IPA with Magnum FWH and a buttload of Cascade/Simcoe and the combo makes for a great hop character. Also, for the wildcard vote I'd say Galaxy/Simcoe. Suuuper fruity and delicious

Galaxy/Simcoe is a great combo.

Back