Coolship build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChugachBrewing

Reaction score
I'm going to be attempting a coolship build this weekend. Going to make a stainless tub, 22 guage ss, 24 x 36 x 8" high with an NPT drain in the corner. Anyone have any ideas, thoughts, etc? There aren't any threads for this AT ALL so I'm looking for input. Thanks!

If it were me and I had the skills to do this, I'd use a tri-clover fitting rather than npt. Sounds awesome though. Please post pics!

"A coolship is a large shallow pan used to cool wort overnight using outside air temperature. During the cooling process, naturally occurring yeast from the air inoculates the wort. In the morning, the cooled wort is transferred into barrels where the fermentation process begins. The beer is then aged for an undetermined amount of time, until we deem it "ready"."

Sounds like an open fermenter/Yorkshire Square that is placed outside.

what size batches are you looking to put in here?

looks like that would hold about 30ish gallons when filled to the brim. so if you're putting 10 gallon batches in there the liquid would be about 3 inches all the way around and if you're putting five gallons in there it would be about an inch and a half. for five gallons it might be a bit big but for ten gallons it would look about right.

Have you seen then brewingTV episode about the coolship? it's episode #42.

It sounds like a cool project. good luck.

I have seen that episode. Good one. Little dramatic though.
I do both 10 and 45 gallon batches. So I would either put a whole batch in 10gal, or part of one. I think 3" would be just about right for 10 gallons.

Going to stick with the npt, everything I use is camlock. Mucho cheaper. Can always change easier.

Exactly and if you're going with a coolship you shouldn't mind a little infection, as that's kind of the point, right?

This is pretty epic; I can't wait to see pictures!

Adam

Back