Screw it, Im tasting one!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damian13

Reaction score
So I brewed a weihenstephaner hefe clone that I let sit in primary for about 4 weeks. I bottled the beer last thursday. This weekend I am going to my hometown and wanted to take some with me to share my new hobby (first batch). I put two to cool after 5 days of conditioning which I know is too short, but I just have to try one! I ll probably try one at around 6:00 pm. I hope its carbed some, but if not, its just one beer.:D

if you're going to share it, you need to taste the batch.

Brew more and the waiting gets easier.

Ive heard hefes condition fast but I know 5 days is pushing it. Who knows, I might break a record.

admission here:

I do the same thing. 5 days conditioning- 1 day bottle- Breakwater Pale Ale- AMAZING
Same for the Belgium I made. Well same for everything. They usually get a taste test early on to see if I hit the spot or not

admission here:

I do the same thing. 5 days conditioning- 1 day bottle- Breakwater Pale Ale- AMAZING
Same for the Belgium I made. Well same for everything. They usually get a taste test early on to see if I hit the spot or not

Good to know I'm not alone. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Wow! Tasted it, and it has great carbonation! It was really good! A bit sweeter than expected (a tiny bit, and not necessarily a bad thing). I don't know if thats what people call extract twang but I didn't mind it at all (it might've helped even, maybe?). Carbonation was really good though. Anyway, I am still going to leave the rest conditioning at room temp for a bit to see what it does to the flavor. Maybe the sweetness will tone back a bit. Crazy quick carbonation though.

I'm in the same boat but my wife talked me down from the cliff. We are waiting for Sunday afternoon.

Question: How does it the taste compared to any samples before bottling? I wasn't too impressed with my samples but know from the forums that samples are not always representative of the finished beer so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm in the same boat but my wife talked me down from the cliff. We are waiting for Sunday afternoon.

Question: How does it the taste compared to any samples before bottling? I wasn't too impressed with my samples but know from the forums that samples are not always representative of the finished beer so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

So, my samples tasted pretty great, but they weren't as sweet. I think that is because the beer isn't done conditioning and some of the priming sugar hasn't been eaten by the yeast. I have to say other than the sweetness, the beer does seem to have a way cleaner taste than the samples I tried before conditioning (less yeasty, and no sulfur smell). I drank my second beer and realized that although the beer has really good carbonation, it probably will benefit from more conditioning time to make the beer a bit less sweet and make the carbonation last longer. But the conditioning has helped my beer's flavor so far so hopefully it will help yours too.

It's all good. It's your beer. Do with it as you please. You wouldn't feel guilty for eating some of the cookie dough before you bake it, would you? Sure, it's not a cookie yet, but that doesn't mean it doesn't taste good.

I bottled a stout the weekend before last. I like to wait 3 weeks before chilling one, but the coat closet where I store the bottled beer got too full. There were 3 odd stouts that weren't in a 12-pack case, so into the fridge they went. Sure, I *could* have switched them into one of the cases of finished beer, but I didn't.

Because it's MINE.

Back