Question about Wyeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebirdude

Reaction score
I used a bag of Wyeast for the first time yesterday. I felt around for the packet inside and gave it a solid smack to try to break it. I wasn't sure if I got it, but couldn't really find it inside again. So I assumed so. A couple hours later I was ready to pitch the yeast. It did seem to swell up a bit. When I ripped the bag open, I found a starter packet (?) that hadn't been broken and what I guess was another one attached to it that was broken. Is this normal? I just punctured the starter packet with a sterile thermometer tip and dumped everything into my beer. What should I have done?

This doesn't seem like a super easy way to start yeast. It's hard to even feel the packet in there. Heck, maybe one was already broken when I bought it? Who knows...

I agree, it's a somewhat clumsy method. It's easier if you get to the smack-pack before it swells. Then feel around - I know it can be hard to find.

OTOH, if you make a starter, which is the preferred method, you can ignore the above and just pitch the yeast into the starter wort. You don't need to worry about smacking the pack, just add it to the starter wort.

The same thing has happened to me a few times and you did about the only thing you can do.

Does each pack normally come with two starter packets inside? Again, this is my first time using them.

I agree, it's a somewhat clumsy method. It's easier if you get to the smack-pack before it swells. Then feel around - I know it can be hard to find.

OTOH, if you make a starter, which is the preferred method, you can ignore the above and just pitch the yeast into the starter wort. You don't need to worry about smacking the pack, just add it to the starter wort.

+1 on the starter

I'm generally able to verify before it starts to swell up that I've broken the little nutrient packet, but every once in a while I find out I missed it. Never had 2 nutrient packets at once though. But either way, it all goes into a starter anyway so I just don't worry about it.

Do you have to break the packet at all? Sorry, but I'm pretty new to the whole hobby and really don't even know what that packet is. I just know it starts the yeast before pitching....but I think it's not entirely necessary anyway?

Do you have to break the packet at all? Sorry, but I'm pretty new to the whole hobby and really don't even know what that packet is. I just know it starts the yeast before pitching....but I think it's not entirely necessary anyway?

You dont have to break the packet. The yeast will do just fine without it, it just gives them a little head start. If you are making a starter anyway its not going to make a difference if you break the packet from what I understand. It seems to me that the packet is more for the direct pitch folk.

From Wyeast
Activator™ packages include a sterile liquid nutrient pouch that, when “smacked”, releases its contents into the yeast slurry and “activates” the package. The available nutrients initiate the culture’s metabolism which in turn generates CO2 and causes swelling of the package. This process will reduce lag times by preparing the yeast for a healthy fermentation prior to inoculation. Activation also serves as a viability test of the culture. Expansion of the package is an indicator of healthy (viable and vital) yeast. Although beneficial, cultures do not need to be activated prior to inoculation.

They don't need to be "activated" with the nutrients, especially if you're making a starter (which if you're paying attention to proper pitching rates you should be doing anyway unless you're only making really low gravity beers or really small batches)

As a side question.... I would certainly assume you don't dump the inside starter packet into your beer. But yet they make a point to mention sanitizing the outside of the whole pack, then they expect you to reach your hand in there and fish out the starter packet before pitching?!?! How retarded...

So don't reach in there and fish it out. I just take care when pitching to keep the pack in there without touching it (only tearing a corner of the pack helps). Then again, that packet would be sterile and food grade plastic, and even if it were to make it into your wort I'd think it wouldn't hurt anything.

As a side question.... I would certainly assume you don't dump the inside starter packet into your beer. But yet they make a point to mention sanitizing the outside of the whole pack, then they expect you to reach your hand in there and fish out the starter packet before pitching?!?! How retarded...

If done properly the inside packet breaks when you smack it, meaning you just have to cut a corner off from the bag and pitch the entire contents into the wort. The emptied out nutrient packet will stay inside the bag. You shouldn't have to reach in the bag unless the packet doesn't break when you smack it (it has broken every time I have used it) And again, even then if you are making a starter you don't have to worry about. (you should be making a starter)

I've only had the packet not break one time. I usually don't look inside after I pitch the yeast so I can't comment on how many nutrient packs are typically in the smack pack.

I used a bag of Wyeast for the first time yesterday. I felt around for the packet inside and gave it a solid smack to try to break it. I wasn't sure if I got it, but couldn't really find it inside again. So I assumed so. A couple hours later I was ready to pitch the yeast. It did seem to swell up a bit. When I ripped the bag open, I found a starter packet (?) that hadn't been broken and what I guess was another one attached to it that was broken. Is this normal? I just punctured the starter packet with a sterile thermometer tip and dumped everything into my beer. What should I have done?

This doesn't seem like a super easy way to start yeast. It's hard to even feel the packet in there. Heck, maybe one was already broken when I bought it? Who knows...

Same exact thing happened to me. I just bust open the packet and pitch. 24 hours later I had vigorous fermentation.

Also, I checked the Wyeast website FAQs and it said go ahead and pitch, you'll be fine.

The last time I brewed (last Sunday) the nutrient pack had two parts. Like they heat sealed one bag into two. I pitched the whole thing (liquid) into the starter wort.

Well I seem to have a bit of a problem. My starting gravity was 1.038 (target 1.040). I checked it about 12 days after pitch and read 1.025 with my refractometer. I was surprised it wasn't lower, but I left it alone for 4 more days (today). I checked again and I'm getting 1.025 still. Taste test passes. Not sweet at all (and target taste is bullseyed :) ) Fermenting temps were a little on the high side (~72), but that's really the best I can do here in FL without dragging out the PITA swamp cooler idea. Think I killed the yeast? Think there's another reason for my poor fermentation?

As for this batch, I guess I'm just going to start the cold crash and bottle in the next day or two. Not much else I can do...

firebirdude said:
Well I seem to have a bit of a problem. My starting gravity was 1.038 (target 1.040). I checked it about 12 days after pitch and read 1.025 with my refractometer. I was surprised it wasn't lower, but I left it alone for 4 more days (today). I checked again and I'm getting 1.025 still. Taste test passes. Not sweet at all (and target taste is bullseyed :) ) Fermenting temps were a little on the high side (~72), but that's really the best I can do here in FL without dragging out the PITA swamp cooler idea. Think I killed the yeast? Think there's another reason for my poor fermentation?

As for this batch, I guess I'm just going to start the cold crash and bottle in the next day or two. Not much else I can do...

If you are using a refractometer and not making the proper adjustments your readings are worthless. Once alcohol is present a refractometer reading needs to be calculated in a formula to adjust properly, try a hydrometer reading, sorry I do not have the calculation you need but I'm sure it's in a thread somewhere.

If you are using a refractometer and not making the proper adjustments your readings are worthless. Once alcohol is present a refractometer reading needs to be calculated in a formula to adjust properly, try a hydrometer reading, sorry I do not have the calculation you need but I'm sure it's in a thread somewhere.
Oh lol. I've used refractometers for measuring salinity in my saltwater aqauriums for years. Though I was told a different refractometer was necessary (and I purchased one), I wasn't aware any calculations had to be done. I found a spreadsheet here. If I'm using it properly, I think my real FG is 1.013? I ballparked 9.8 Brix starting and 6 Brix ending.

Back