How do I install this weldless bulkhead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogphish

Reaction score
I just received 2 weldless bulkheads with valves from bargainfittings.com. Each kit comes with the following parts:

2 inch barrel coupler with internal threading
hex nut
washer
external threaded pipe
valve
two rubber gaskets.

my question is where do the gaskets go? what order to the parts go in? where does the wall off the pot/keg go?

another thing i have to say is: why is the barrel so long? if i tilt the pot toward the valve to get the remaining water out, then this long barrel will be sticking up out of the water preventing me from pouring the remaining water. i have never used this thing and i already hate it.

...just found this schematic on bargainfittings.com
instructions.jpg

can i just not use the coupling? i have nothing attaching to the inside of the pot, just the valve on the outside.

another thing i have to say is: why is the barrel so long? if i tilt the pot toward the valve to get the remaining water out, then this long barrel will be sticking up out of the water preventing me from pouring the remaining water. i have never used this thing and i already hate it.

which is why most people use some sort of diptube attached on the inside, needs no tilting

Coupling is for just that: Coupling something to the bulkhead. If you're not going to use any dip tube or other threaded attachment then yes, you can skip using it, but you can't skip the locknut and should definitley check to make sure it's secure BEFORE you put liquid in it when you brew.

can i just not use the coupling? i have nothing attaching to the inside of the pot, just the valve on the outside.

You don't have to, but it's better to attach a dip tube to it so you can get most of the water out.

this is the first i've heard about a diptube. any advice on the parts i need, where i can find them, and how to construct the diptube? thanks.

much cheaper to go to homedepot........get a connection to attach to the coupling.......and then there is a copper tube that looks just like the dip tube that you can cut the one end off......$5 maybe.....alot cheaper

lostboysbrew, you are a savior. i was just about to come back and ask about a cheaper alternative.

are you saying that there home depot sells small copper tubes that already have a 90 degree bend in them? will i need a compression fitting that connects the tube to the coupling?

lostboysbrew, you are a savior. i was just about to come back and ask about a cheaper alternative.

are you saying that there home depot sells small copper tubes that already have a 90 degree bend in them? will i need a compression fitting that connects the tube to the coupling?

That will work. You may need to get a tubing bender to bend the copper though. I have never seen pre-made dip tube shapes.

I have never seen pre-made dip tube shapes.

I saw one at HD yesterday. It had a closed end on it and as another poster mentioned, the end can simply be cut off with a hacksaw. It was in with the copper elbows and T's.

I think it is called an angled Stub Out.

This is it precisely.......used a pipe cutter, cut off the end........and i got a copper coupler to screw into the weldless bulkhead, and then soddered the "stub out" into that.......also but a little extender on the end of the stub out to get in about 1/4" from the bottom of the keg, gets every last bit of wort out :)

i got 2 copper dip tubes, for $5.50 each, at Home Depot.

i found what you are talking about. it was called something like "copper to PEX connector". it was 1/2" copper tubing, bent 90 degrees, with a barbed fitting at one end and the other end was rounded shut.

i did not use the barrel coupling that came with my weldless bulkhead. i bought two copper 1/2" female threaded to 1/2" pipe connector to go in it's place. then i bought a 90 degree elbow connector and used some of the extra pipe from the big prebent pipe we were discussing above. two copper diptubes for $11.

Back