Estimate primary time based on OG/ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naked_Eskimo

Reaction score
This ISN'T a is by beer ready to secondary thread.

I've pulled a lot of recipes from the HBT database, and it's interesting to read about the length of time people primary for before bottling/kegging.

Some brews are ready to go in 10 days (e.g. EdWorts Haus Pale Ale, BMs Centennial Blonde), whereas others are sitting in primary for a month.

Is there a "rough" way of estimating how long a beer might need to primary for based on the OG. I assume the lower OG/ABV beers would need less of a primary vs a high OG beer. So a session beer would require a shorter primary relative to a imperial stout, for instance.

I know enough to always use a hydrometer, but this isnt about absolutely testing when a beer is ready to be racked.....just based on estimation looking at a recipe.

I would guess that yes there would be a method but you would also need to to factor in type of yeast, how many cells were pitched, and your fermentation temps.

Depends on too many things.

If you pitch cells per ml per degree plato you can usually predict it pretty well for a particular yeast based on past experience.

My 1056 beers are typically at terminal gravity in 72 - 96 hours from pitching. About 7 days for my 833 beers. Other yeast I might only use once or twice a year so I have less of a feel.

But this is all dependent on various things I do the same way every time, it would be different in another brewery.

Back