Light Damage to Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corexcore

Reaction score
Hello all. Does mead lower in quality by being exposed to light? I'd heard that fermentation was only negatively impacted when hop oils are involved, as in beers or braggots. I've also heard, recently, that it can be detrimental to have a mead fermenting in the light. Is this true? What's the deal, more experienced type folks? Some advice would be truly appreciated... and sooner the better, as if it can't take the light, then i'mma have to hide my meads ROQ.

P.S.: are ciders impacted by light? I've got a graff going without the hops in my room and am wondering if its going to suck because of the exposure I've let it have.

Yes, wines, meads, and ciders are impacted by light. They don't "skunk" like beer can from the hops oils, but they can be light struck. That's why aged wines are sold in colored bottles- for light protection.

Alrighty, thanks for the quick response. I've since ferreted all my brews away into light free environments and will do my best to keep them that way. What are the symptoms or effects of a batch being lightstruck? what does it do to flavor?

i'm not an expert by any means, but i did read a thread on another forum about this, basically it was stated that "light" in general isnt bad, but its the UV light from the sun that can damage the wine

Back