RIP Hydrometer #3

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soc

Reaction score
Well, I just lost my third hydrometer since starting homebrewing about 2 years ago. The first one I lost to the kitchen floor, the second one I lost to a carboy, and this one I lost to a wrench. How many hydrometers has everyone else lost from being in too big of a hurry to put away the ever so fragile hydrometer right after using it? We can keep the death toll here, starting with me.

Hydrometer death toll: 3

I have the same one that came with my kit, unharmed (only been 3 months brewing). However i just bought a refractometer and will probably never go back.
tom

I lost one hydrometer in the 3 years I've been brewing. Left it on the table to dry after cleaning it, but the window was open and one unlucky gust of wind later... ugh.

I have the same one that came with my kit, unharmed (only been 3 months brewing). However i just bought a refractometer and will probably never go back.
tom

This is an excellent point. Maybe I should arrange for a convenient gust of wind or for Soc to help me brew ( ;) ) so that I can switch to a refractometer.

At least 3 since '95-ish. The last one spilled tiny pellets of lead into my fermented Bass Clone...vowed never again and I've not brewed with one in 4 years. YES I DRANK IT...after immediately filtering. :drunk:

HYDROMETERS SUCK! :mad:

I broke down this week :eek: and decided to try again...it is in transit with some other goodies! Once this one breaks (and it will), I'll probably go refrac.

Still using the one I bought to start, and I finally got around to calibrating it last week... only to discover that it was 2 points high, so my beers had been finishing drier than I thought (and starting a bit weaker!).

1 my wife stepped on it. It fell off the counter in the storage tube didn't break until SWMBO stepped back . I have a refractometer now but still have a hydrometer to do FG I know I can use the refractometer but I just can't be bothered imputing the info into the calculator.

I think ou have to go on amount of batches as opposed to time.

My 1st one went 35 batches and then a bottle tipped over on it with catastrophic results

I almost lost #3 last night too and it's only a week old. I had a glass of beer in one hand and the hand I picked up the hydrometer with was wet with StarSan. It shot out of my hand and I juggled it all over the kitchen. I finally caught it after about 10 seconds a foot off the floor. Didn't spill a drop of homebrew and #3 lives to fight another day :)

I know I'm not on my first, but I might be on my second. I don't think I broke the first one, either. I think the paper got out of whack. I don't remember breaking one (knock on wood).

TL

I still have my first from about 20 years ago. But I haven't brewed that often during most of that time. I generally rinse it off and wipe it and put it right back in it's plastic case.

I am also considering buying a refractometer, simply for ease of use. I hate having to cool the wort down.

My signature back in the day used to say:

Hydrometers will only make you worry....

I hated them. Still do. I stopped using them after breaking several and just stopped thinking about gravity. For extract brews, it's really not necessary.

I broke down and started using one again when I switched to all grain, but I still hate the thing and I gave it away on the "Pay it Forward" thread last night.

Edit: even with my AG, I only take an OG reading to see how my efficiency was. Never take FG readings. I consistantly get 73%-75% efficiency, so even the OG reading isn't necessary anymore.

Still have my original hydrometer from like 93. However, I cracked a miniature one that was only about 3"-4" long that came with it's own beaker (whatever it's called). That was the coolest little thing.

refractometer refractometer refractometer refractometer

For what you people are paying in buying multiples hydrometers, you could all own a refractometer.

Springer, you make me laugh. You can't be bothered to input data in a calculator, but you can be bothered to sanitize 2-4 pieces of equipment? lol.

I broke quite a few hydrometers in the past :drunk: but now have a plastic one that works really well and no worries about dropping it :)

On #3 now. First one was while cleaning/sanatizing, the second while trying to ohh so careful when putting it away.

Lost a hydro to a wrench? Lol... Nice.

I have had the same one for about 11 years now. I almost just bought a refract. but I have been mentioning it to several family members recently so I might wait to see if I get it as a gift soon. If not I will get one in Jan.

Back