Widmer Hefe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
Hello, being fairly new to homebrewing and expeirmenting with beer styles that i have never had before I use Sam Adams alot to try these different styles. One that i just found out that I love is Sam Adams Hefeweizen. Now right next to the sam adams collection on the winn dixie shelf is the only other hefe that the store carries, a brand called Widmer. Is this good beer? Is it better than sam adams hefe? Being that I liked the hefe so much that sam made i want to try the other brand but i just wasn't sure if Widmer was quality product. thanks for any info you have for me and this post will be the decider on which brand I pickup for this evenings friday night grilling session.

I haven't had the SA hefe but the widmer is pretty tastey.....they used to have it on tap at one of my fav restraunts....got rid of it though :(

Widmer is a pretty good company. Might want to pick up their sampler pack if they have it, all good beers. I'm a little surprised that they only have two Hefes. Time to find a new store.

Do you have a large liquor store near? Many of the larger liquor stores sell a wide variety of craft/micro brews.

Sorry guys in panama city, FL you can't find the kind of beers that we like, before winn dixie started carrying sam adams crafts, and seirra nevada pale ale, all we could get was grolsch and stella artois started coming in, even most of the bars down here don't carry anything, the closest you can get at a bar down here is corona and heineken, it sucks. maybe 1 percent of the bars in panama actually have guiness on tap too, lol. ive heard that even the hooters up north carry like 30 some kinds of beer, but down here where its franchised there is 8, my cousin is a hooters girl from maryland and she is down here working for the summer and she told me that. It just really sucks, i guess down here on the beach people just want BMC and corona. There isn't even a homebrew shop within reasonable driving distance here, closest brew pub is mcguires in destin 100 miles away from me. Ive been working in maryland and have been to the barley and hops and old dominions brew pub in the dullas airport in washington and thats like heaven for me, nothing like that down here.

EDIT: I believe the name is Old Dominion Brewing in the dullas airport, correct me if im wrong

So you mention your cousin is a hooters girl, but don't post pictures to back up your claim. For shame

We just got back from a vacation to PC Beach. There was a grocery store on Front Beach road. The Carousel. It's a small, non-franchise place they have a decent beer selection. I got Dogfish 60 and 90min, Kona Fire Rock, and Dale's Pale Ale there. I also picked up a 22oz Erdinger dark hefe.

Being from Alabama where you can't find anything worth a damn, it was like being in a candy store!

I must be in the minority on this one, but I don't like Widmer Hefe. I had a few from bottles once and they were very flavorless, and the last one I had was on tap and it had this weird funk to it that I couldn't quite pin down. I had a Boston Lager right after and it was like sweet nectar by comparison.

The Sam Adams Hefeweizen is good, but nothing spectacular. It is similar to Pyramid Hefeweizen, which also falls into the "good, not great" category in my opinion. Have you tried Sam Adams Summer Ale? It's a wheat beer as well but it has more flavor than their standard Hefeweizen.

Back