Whoops - too much (wort)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJCalico

Reaction score
Hi gang...

Just finished cleaning up from brew day no. 3. Made a William's Brewing Honey Wheat kit.

Unfortunately the most details come from the web site kit description and theres only codes on the ingredients when you get the kit instead of hop type, etc.

Ok.. so before I ask my question here's the cut and paste from the website:

Alcohol: 5%, IBUs 32. Includes 8 lbs. of our blended wheat extract and blackberry honey, 125 ml of liquid wheat beer yeast, flavoring and aromatic hops, and corn sugar for carbonation. Makes 5 gallons with a starting gravity of at least 1.052.

Ok.. so here goes... I brewed everything to exact direction, chilled it, poured it in fermenter, took an OG reading which was dead on at 1.052 as the website declared.

So... since this is my first batch, I thought i was getting a little smarter and started with a LITTLE over 3gal of cold water in the fermenter and a LITTLE over 2gal in the brew pot. My thinking was that this was going to compensate for the beer right over the trub on bottling day. I ended up with roughly 5.6 gallons. The foam from aeration was just below the 6gal mark.

I'm not really too concerned, but will this amount of extra wort affect the flavor of the final product? i.e. watered down flavor, etc.

I'll keep these kinds of posts shorter for now on...

Thanks!

Most kits are really designed to yield 5 gallons, so having 5.6 gallons in the ferment is normal. In any case, you won't notice any difference.

SLIGHTLY LESS ALCOHOL!!!!!!!! OMG IT'S RUINED!!!!!!!!

haha just kidding.. thanks guys.

Many people shoot for 5.5 gallons post boil to end up with 5 in the bottle/keg...due to trub loss in the primary. It'll be fine.

It fermented like devil's water... was incredible. Thank goodness I used a blowoff tube for the first time. 6.5gal carboy and the kraussen almost touched the mouth of the glass!

SWMBO didn't care for the off-smell in the house the last two days :)

Brew up some Apfelwein and see what she says ;). You may get off the hook for the fermenting beer smell.

Better yet drink a liter of Apfelwein and some IPAs... eat some chili and then hold her head under the covers.

She will either divorce you or ask that you stop and return to brewing.

I'd like to shake the hand of the guy that invented Dutch Ovens. :)

Back