Trub vs Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdp07d

Reaction score
I attempted washing yeast for the first time yesterday and I followed the yeast washing illustrated instructions. It seems to have worked well. I left a lot of trub in the large jar that I used. After moving the yeast into the smaller jars and letting them settle in the fridge overnight I am not sure if I have too much trub mixed with my yeast still. The sediment at the bottom appears to be very creamy throughout.

Is there too much trub in the jar?
Should I wash it again before making a starter?
Could it be so dark on the bottom because I harvested it from a dark beer?

DSC00807.jpg

Thanks Cadillacandy,

New posts every other day! If you like, you can sign up by Blogger, G+ or email.

With all due respect WoodlandBrew, I've washed and reused yeast for many many batches successfully. I've taken single smack packs and turned them into several liters of viable yeast after an initial low gravity batch. I don't have any scientific numbers, but I don't think I've ever lost anywhere near 95% of the viable yeast.....

I posted a picture in my original post. Mostly I'm worried about excess trub since I didn't leave it in the kettle.

Back