Can I do this to check F.G.?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leut

Reaction score
Started my 1st all grain recipe 23 days ago. Hefeweizen kit from Midwest Supplies. O.G. was 1.050, so now 23 days later about to check F.G. . When i draw sample and haven't hit target F.G. is it OK to just draw large sample put it in a sanitized bottle with aluminum foil tightly on top and just check each day with that sample? Or do i need to just keep opening carboy and draw sample each day? Was just worried about any baddies getting in from continually opening carboy.

Well, if it's been fermenting for 23 days and still hasn't made it, then it's probably not going to. As for your question on using the same sample and checking it daily, it would probably be fairly accurate, assuming it was at the same temp as the main fermentation. It could ferment at a different rate, though depending on the amount of yeast you drew with it.

But, like I said before, if you've gone 23 days since pitching, it's probably done.

Oh ok cool guys. just wanted to be sure, trying to get some of basics down of all grain brewing. Thanks for responses!

I tried this with my sample tube. It's actually quite good having a mini-fermentation to monitor but I'm convinced that it ferments at a different rate to bulk, even at the same temperature. I'm pretty sure you can use it to check F.G. and I'm not entirely sure why more people don't do this sort of thing.

II'm convinced that it ferments at a different rate to bulk, even at the same temperature. I'm pretty sure you can use it to check F.G. and I'm not entirely sure why more people don't do this sort of thing.

This ^^^

The smaller amount will ferment quicker.

In order to naturally carbonate some brewers will pull a small amount of wort and monitor its gravity. When it has reached FG you can use that number to determine when to seal off the main fermenter in order to capture the CO2.

FG was 1.006. Not sure why because instructions say should been 1.010-1.012. I tasted it, doesn't taste bad..so I'm kegging it anyway :p

Back