Kits vs Recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rameses

Reaction score
I'm new to this but I was looking to expand beyond some kits and see about trying some recipes floating around on here. I started creating a shopping list and to buy the separate ingrediants, the cost is going to double what a kit would cost (keeping in mind that I'm extract brewing). Is that the common finding or was I just looking at a particularly expensive recipe?

If so, I believe I'll be sticking with kits for a while. There are an absolute ton I want to try from several of the popular online HBS. Was just curious.

thx

The reason kits are normally cheaper is because they normally pack just what you want.

Buying separately normally means buying more than you need.
You can use your stock to brew your next batch though.

Kits are typically a little cheaper than buying ingredients individually, but double is crazy. What are you trying to make and where are you ordering?

Also, sometimes it's better to buy in bulk. There are things that you're going to use very often - better to get a decent amount of things like that.

I was looking at the BASS Clone by olllllo. I ordered the BASS Clone kit from AHBS and was wondering what the difference would be between the two.

The kit sells for $37.50 after you add yeast and ice to ship.

If you order all the items from olllllo's clone(https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=125136&postcount=21), it is $60.50. That's buying all the right sizes (no bulk).

So, maybe not double, but over 60% more.

I'm not sure where you're getting those prices, but I just added it all up at Midwest for $43.56 including shipping and the Deluxe Yeast shipping Packet.

You sure you're not indicating a POUND of any one hop or including all three of his suggested yeast variety options?? I'd agree that if you match the items perfectly, the kit might be 5% cheaper at most.

AHBS:

- 1 lb Crystal (60L since they didn't have 55) - $1.60
- 2 oz goldings - $1.89 each
- 1 oz challenger - $1.89
- 1 oz fuggle - $1.99
- 7 lbs LME - $18.68
- 6 lbs DME (5 lber and 1 lber) - $19.95 & $3.99
- 1 oz Irish Moss - $1.29
- 1 lb Maris Otter Malt - $1.90
- 4.5 oz priming sugar $0.79
- liquid yeast - $6.49

Looks like the Malt Extract by itself is more than a kit.

rameses said:
- 7 lbs LME - $18.68
- 6 lbs DME (5 lber and 1 lber) - $19.95 & $3.99

Looks like the Malt Extract by itself is more than a kit.

There's your problem, thats one or the other, not both.

I am a noobie at this so forgive me if I am wrong. but doesnt a normal 5 gallon batch take about 6 or 7 pounds of extract? It seems as though his list has twice that amount, with 7 pounds of LME and 6 pounds of DME. Shouldnt that be one or the other? Maybe thats why the price is so high? Like I said, I'm a noobie so hold off on the insults. :)

Also, if when you compare the kits, remeber that Austin Homebrew sells their kits with LME. If you compare that a recipe that calls for DME, the kit will come out cheaper. (I know this isn't exactly the case here, but for future reference.) The kits might not contain exactly the same ingredients (hops, grains, etc.) as the recipe linked calls for.

I have done a few kits from Austin Homebrew and after receiving the kits I have added up the cost if I were to buy separately. There is basically no difference.

Latest posts

Back