Sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howbrewyoudo

Reaction score
I am considering either starsan or pbw. What would everyone recommend? Thanks for the help.

I use Saniclean for sanitizing. It's the low-foam version of StarSan, which I prefer. And remember, with Saniclean or StarSan, you don't need to make gallons at a time. The stuff's expensive so I only mix up enough for a 12-ounce spray bottle at a time. I can always pour it into a carboy or whatever, slosh it around, and pour it back into the spray bottle. Discard when it gets cloudy or you see stuff floating in it, like egg drop soup. Distilled water makes it last much, much longer than tap water (weeks instead of days).

For cleaning, I use Sun oxygen cleaner. I buy it at WalMart. Same thing as OxyClean but much cheaper.

These products work so well for me that I no longer worry about the effectiveness or cost of my cleaning/sanitizing process.

As already stated. PBW (powdered brewery wash) is for cleaning, it does not sanitize. Oxyclean or it's Walmart version are much cheaper.

I use and like Starsan. (Don't fear the foam.) When using it do not rinse it or let it dry. If so it is no longer working.

Iodaphor is another option, but being iodine based it will stain your equipment. This is the primary reason that I don't use it.

Sorry for the slip up in the question. Sounds like starsan and the generic oxyclean is the way to go.

Back