Cream Crazy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samtoberfest

Reaction score
So, I've recently crossed over to all-grain brewing and just love the cream ale style. Well, let's say I love the "American" Cream Ale style. Essential when I think cream ale I think, "Smooth, Creamy, Sweet." Not that that's the BJCP guidelines, but hey, it's an American Cream! I'll be taking a shot at brewing a "Pumpkin Cream." I'll look to use maybe 60% 2-r0w, 30% Bonlander, and the rest a combination of Carapils and a light Caramel. I'm thinking Saaz hops as a primarily bittering unit with a combination of Brown sugar, sugar pumpkins, Cinnamon, All Spice, Nutmeg, Coriander, and Vanilla. I'm not quite sure what to use in terms of yeast though, any suggestions for yeast or anything else in this rough "recipe." Also, I'm not sure about measurements for a 5 gallon batch (this includes the pumpkin and spices...)

I just made a pumpkin stout with 5.5 lbs of canned pumpkin in the mash. I added a pound of rice hulls to the mash and it still took forever to drain my mlt.

I am going to rack over a cinnamon stick, nutmeg, allspice and a vanilla bean and let it sit until I like the spice level.

How do you like the bonlander? I have never used it. Is it similar to Belgian aromatic malt? I like the sweetness of corn in a cream ale. Have you ever tried a pound or 2 of flaked maize in the mash?

Back