krausening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, I've been trying to find some information on this myself. Seems tricky. I can't find any solid information on how much krausening wort you should prime 5g (or whatever) with. Also, isn't timing paramount? I mean if you pitch too soon you'll have more fermentation than expected, and if you pitch to late you'll have not enough. I don't have a good idea of what the pace of a 1L (I'm just guessing that must be ballpark) fermentation is.

beats me. that's what i'm trying to figure out. i have an awesome book, New Brewing Lager Beer by Greg Noonan, and he's a damn good German beer brewer. but i can't find anything on krausening in the book. maybe i keep missing it?????
i want to make a dunkelweizen, and think this would help the brew. much like doing a decoction mash.

I picked up on it as I am trying to clone New River Brewing's APA:
http://www.newriverbrewing.com/brews.html
They claim they krausen their beer, but I'm pretty much not going to do it with this batch as I'm not sure of the ratios and saved all of ZERO wort. I suppose people generally prime with 2/3-3/4 cups of corn sugar...convert that to weight and going from the OG of your wort you could calculate how much to save and pitch for krausening. Maybe add in a 5% fudge factor since fermentation has already started by high krausen so some of the sugars would have been eaten already.

Or maybe I should put down these Rogue Shakespeare Stouts.

cool,thanks. yep, i'm toasting a few Shiner Dunkelweizen's and have a Rouge Chocolate Stout teasing me in the fridge now ......bastards!

do you mean krausening to prime. im confused on this myself, but only cause the terminology. before i began brewing, i thought krausening was skmming the krausen off of fermenting wort. but i dont know why you would do this. i 'krausen' my beer (according to Papazian) for priming which works great and as i said before i think it just seems 'right'. i posted a guideline for doing this a few weeks back under a 'priming sugar' post in the ingredient section. i dont know how to add the link cause i'm basically technologically illiterate, but look it up and you should be able to find it. theres a formula based on the OG that tells you how much gyle to use. if this isnt what youre looking for, sorry, the terminology is confusing me.

DeRoux's Broux said:
i have an awesome book, New Brewing Lager Beer by Greg Noonan, and he's a damn good German beer brewer. but i can't find anything on krausening in the book. maybe i keep missing it?????
i want to make a dunkelweizen, and think this would help the brew. much like doing a decoction mash.
I apologize for being dense, but what's the connection between lager and dunkelweizen? :confused:

no connection to lager and dunkelweizen. dunkelweizen is just a "dark wheat". just my favorite type of wheat. usualy a little heartier and stronger, but not always.

drengel, that's it. to prime. i have just never used that method, but i keg, so i probably won't go through the hassel to try it out on one batch. i can't hardly think of cleaning bottles again!

from the website of a south african microbrewer i met while i was over there (makes a great altbier!):

Krausening
The traditional German Kraüsening method involves adding 10% actively fermenting wort at the secondary fermentation stage. This addition of Kraüsen produces changes in beer composition, especially the removal of diacetyl and aldehydes.

From Charlies Book....

How much gyle do you use to prime? Gyle( qrts): wort without pitched yeast.

gyle = (12 x gallons)/((S.G.-1) x 1000))

example:

gyle = (12*5)/((1.040-1)*1000))

gyle = 60/40

gyle = 1.5 quarts

Two Assumptions:

1.) You prime with a rate of 3/4 cup of corn sugar per 5 gallons.

2.) The gallons are what you have to work with to collecting gyle from the batch or the starting batch size.

There is another important point to consider. How much do you loose in racking.

Back