Storing beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naked_Eskimo

Reaction score
I'm just curious where folks here keep all their bottled beer. If you brew 3-4 5gallon batches, you're then sitting with up to 4 cases of beer lying around. Thats A LOT of beer.

Where do you keep all of this, assuming you're not drinking a case a week :drunk:

Surely, at some point, space becomes and issue stopping you from brewing more beer?

We have room in the cellar for about 40 cases, I have three boys in their 20s, they live in the old ranch house about 100' from the cellar, we seldom have any beer stored in the cellar.:(

Keep on brewing my friends:mug:

kegs - not the answer you wanted but it's what I do. Several years ago SWIMBO was complaining about all of the bottles I had around everywhere. So I suggested getting set up with a kegorator. She said "sounds like a great idea!". Never looked back.

Kegs definitely would solve the issue...but then you're limited by the number of kegs how much you can brew.

Right now, I can afford 3 kegs tops. That means only 3 batches of beer at a time, which means I'm not brewing as much as I would like, and also less variety in the fridge.

I store at room temp under a lightblocking cover in my office. Been doing this for the last 4+ years with no ill effects to the beer. Then again, a 5 gallon batch doesn't last much longer than a month or so once it carbs up.

I have a closet that is currrently overloaded with beer. Either the clothes or the beer has to go. If anyone sees me walking around naked, you will know the beer won. Pre-emptive sorry.

Boxes in the basement is what I do, but I need a better more organized solution, thinking of building some shelving... maybe getting some kind of crates?

Unfortunately, I live in a pretty small house with my girlfriend...not much space, no basement or cellar, and a garage that is currently unusable at 100F. And good luck replacing clothes with beer ;)

I bottle mostly in 12 oz. longecks, and I've had the better part of 8 batches in bottles at one point in the past. Storage is in our basement, which is usually pitch dark, and ranges from the upper '50s - low '60s through the year. Right now, I'm storing about 4 batches. I've got some inexpensive shelving that I use that will hold 5+ batches in six-packs, and the rest gets spread out on empty space on my other shelving.

I live in a one bedroom apartment with my SO also, and I have found room to keep all my beer equipment. We have a closet that houses the water heater as well as the air conditioner, so I have taken that room over as the brewing laboratory. Something to consider would be some shelves. I spend about 90 dollars on wood and tools to build some custom shelves for my brewing closet and it increased my space to a point where I considered buying more things to fill it up with; thus is the hobby I suppose.

Drink more or get some friends... Just kidding! We store bottles in the garage, transfer from there to fridge, and from there to mouth! If ya get to a point with major excess, start gifting or bartering!

I keep mine in various cabinets, one in my den, and another is under a fish tank which holds about 8 cases. I can house about 10 batches before I need to have a large party to empty space!

Kegs, Secondaries for longer bulk aging while waiting for a keg. I also bottle with Biermuncher's Counter pressure gun when I need Keg's. :) A keezer goes a looooooonnnnng way. Best investment ever. Fits three kegs and quite a few bottles, then if we ever get overloaded we throw a party or invite friends over. One of my buddies even asked if he could do a tasting event for his friends and I thought it was a great idea so I could get rid of some stock. Always looking for a party. :)

only 4 or 5 cases? That's easy... i've got 16 right now taking up 2 closets.... and i'm moving next week. Can't say i'm super excited about moving all that beer.... most of it is still bottle conditioning so i can't even really justify having a party and drinking it all.. ooh well. not a bad problem to have.

I used to have an extra bathroom, but now I'm switching to smaller batches so I can brew more often (and hopefully do indoor AG), but I have the bottom of the pantry which can probably hold three or four cases.

Boxes stacked in my basement right now. I have an idea for a rolling cart though that I have been kicking around for a while. I'm just waiting to acquire some reclaimed cabinets, and lumber and such for it, and to have the time to work on it.

only 4 or 5 cases? That's easy... i've got 16 right now taking up 2 closets.... and i'm moving next week. Can't say i'm super excited about moving all that beer.... most of it is still bottle conditioning so i can't even really justify having a party and drinking it all.. ooh well. not a bad problem to have.

When my fiance and I moved last August moving all that beer sucked. It was before I kegged and we had to have at least 16 cases. After moving furniture and boxes all day it is the worst! Hopefully you at least have a dolly we weren't as fortunate...

Unfortunately, I live in a pretty small house with my girlfriend...not much space, no basement or cellar, and a garage that is currently unusable at 100F. And good luck replacing clothes with beer ;)

Sounds like the obvious solution is to get rid of the girlfriend.:D

I can store 8 cases in my closet, and have 3 kegs on tap. Also have a second freezer for temp controlled fermentation (Fairly Large kitchen). I live in a 1 bedroom apartment and my girlfriend fortunately came along AFTER I got into this hobby. She is required to take me as I am, beer equipment and all lol.

When it came time to re-sign or find a new apartment I dreaded moving all the beer stuff. Fortunately I couldn't find an apartment that could house my brew operations so I had to stay.

Currently I store my bottles in the 12 packs they came in, but when they start to fall apart I will start buying milk crates. I have seem them in before with large holes in the bottom that I can use as a drying station for my bottles...

When my fiance and I moved last August moving all that beer sucked. It was before I kegged and we had to have at least 16 cases. After moving furniture and boxes all day it is the worst! Hopefully you at least have a dolly we weren't as fortunate...

Great tip! gonna do that for sure. All the beer is stacked in milk crates, and we can put it on the hand truck and roll it right out to the car. (no way i'm putting 16 cases of beer in a moving truck.)

If I have too much I give the old stuff to my friends. Or have a fridge cleaning party. Works everytime, especially when it is hot out like this.

Back