Turn gas off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain_Bigelow

Reaction score
Once your beer is carbonated do you ever turn your gas off? I think I have a slow leak in my system. I have only had my 5lb co2 tank 3-4 weeks (2 kegs) and it is already almost empty. I presume it should last a lot longer than that.

I was thinking once my beer was carbed and system stable to 12psi, to turn off the gas and then just turn it on as required - if the psi drops. Which should save me some gas.

Is this an acceptable practice?

I think finding the leak is a more acceptable practice (at least acceptable to your wallet). Use some dish detergent diluted with water and start covering all your connections. It shouldn't take you very long to find that leak.

Good luck.

I already sprayed star san on the connections and didn't see any bubbling. As it is a slow leak it is tough to spot.

The leak can't be all that slow if you're almost empty. Are you determining "almost empty" by weighing the tank?

+1

if you aren't weighing it, you have no idea. the psi dropping to 400psi when you put a CO2 cylinder in a fridge is normal. Cold = less pressure. Put a cylinder in your car on a hot summer day and it might blow the safety valve.

My regulator has a valve down stream from the adjustment screw on the low-pressure side, so to check for leaks (before spraying with soap), I just set the regulator to 12 psi, while connected to a keg, then turn this valve off, come back a few hours later and tap the purge valve on the top of the corny to see if there's still pressure in the system. If I can open the valve on the top of the corny all the way and don't hear any gas escaping I figure that's a definite serious leak somewhere.

Back