Something to ponder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sullifan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if this was posted earlier, but it's something to ponder as the econcomy and LIFE AS WE KNOW IT head into the toilet. Not that I subscribe to G. Will's philosophy. Not that THAT's such a bad thing. I just hope the link works! (if not, cut & paste) My Dad sent me this with a few editorial comments aabout my parentage and luck in the gene pool.
And, of course, y'all have a Merry Christmas!

George F. Will - Survival of the Sudsiest - washingtonpost.com

Hey.... where was that guy when I was a teen and my Mom was telling me that nothing good ever came from drinking???

Johnson suggests, not unreasonably, that this explains why certain of the world's population groups, such as Native Americans and Australian Aborigines, have had disproportionately high levels of alcoholism: These groups never endured the cruel culling of the genetically unfortunate that town dwellers endured. If so, the high alcoholism rates among Native Americans are not, or at least not entirely, ascribable to the humiliations and deprivations of the reservation system. Rather, the explanation is that not enough of their ancestors lived in towns.

It would be interesting to compare North American natives and South American natives, specifically, those in South American that descended from city builders (and beer brewers for that matter). I suspect one reason that beer brewing was controlled by religious groups is because it was literally the water of life. Drinking contaminated water killed.

Back