Central Veeyay Brewdown Ought-Eight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
Alright, ol' Virginny...get your sh*t together!

We're scheduled for Sunday, December 21st, at 10:00am, at the residence of one "Flyin' Lion", who lives not far from Richmond. PM him for address if you're interested.

My initial thought here was that everyone whose interested would bring their equipment and ingredients, and we'd all brew the same recipe, but on our own equipment---and in the end, see how the different batches compare. I've been scheming on an English Barleywine for some time now, so unless anyone objects, that's what we're going with.

Be there!

-----

Here's the first crack at the recipe. All input is welcome!

Code:
The Gloaming

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

19-B  Strong Ale, English Barleywine

Min OG:  1.080   Max OG:  1.144
Min IBU:    35   Max IBU:    70
Min Clr:     8   Max Clr:    22  Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal):         5.50    Wort Size (Gal):    5.50
Total Grain (Lbs):       19.75
Anticipated OG:          1.107    Plato:             25.20
Anticipated SRM:          15.2
Anticipated IBU:          66.0
Brewhouse Efficiency:       75 %
Wort Boil Time:            120    Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate:      10.00    Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size:    6.88    Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity:      1.085    SG          20.52  Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used:   Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Tinseth
Tinseth Concentration Factor: 1.30

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops:         2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops:      10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

%     Amount     Name                          Origin        Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 60.8    12.00 lbs. Maris Otter Pale Malt         Great Britain  1.038      3
 20.3     4.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row)              America        1.036      2
 10.1     2.00 lbs. Corn Sugar                    Generic        1.046      0
  3.8     0.75 lbs. Crystal 120L                  Great Britain  1.033    120
  2.5     0.50 lbs. Biscuit Malt                  Belgium        1.035     24
  2.5     0.50 lbs. Melanoidin Malt                              1.033     35

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount     Name                              Form    Alpha  IBU  Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  1.75 oz.    Galena                            Pellet  13.00  58.9  60 min.
  0.75 oz.    Goldings - E.K.                   Pellet   6.00   7.1  20 min.
  0.60 oz.    Goldings - E.K.                   Pellet   6.00   0.0  0 min.

Extras

Amount      Name                           Type      Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  0.50 Tsp    Irish Moss                     Fining    15 Min.(boil) 
  1.00 Unit(s)Burton Water Salts             Other     60 Min.(boil) 

Yeast
-----

Danstar  Nottingham

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs:   17.75
Water Qts:   22.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal:    5.50 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.24 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 150  Time:  60
Mash-out Rest Temp :         158  Time:  20
Sparge Temp :                170  Time:  10

Total Mash Volume Gal: 6.92 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

^^^^^^^What he said :D

The date is still tentative, as I understand it. Evan! has said some members are only available on the 21st--so that is a possibility.

Post up! and PM for directions if you're interested.

Jason

yeah, 21st seems better for a couple people, so I think that's what it's gon' be. And as I told Dale, if anyone really doesn't care for English Barleywine, or just wants to do something else, please feel free to do what you want!

I am glad for that last post. Times are hard now so getting more ingredients than what I have in the house would have been real tight. So if no one objects I will make a Red.

:tank:

I'm not sure if I can fit 20 lbs of grain in my 5 gallon cooler, so I might be looking at something other than a barley wine too.

I have a 50L stainless mash tun you could use, if you want. That'd require direct-fired mashing, of course. Your call.

My LHBS was clearing out their Wyeast stock at $4.50/pak, so I picked up a thames valley ale and the london ESB (1968). I think I'm going to use the Thames because of its relatively high attenuation (77%).

I'm not sure if I can fit 20 lbs of grain in my 5 gallon cooler, so I might be looking at something other than a barley wine too.

I read somewhere that someone managed to fit 25lbs of grain into a 10lb cooler. I tried that yesterday, had to mash thick (~1 qt / lb of grain) but everything seems ok. Also had to split the sparge into 3 to collect enough wort. I think you would have a mess if you tried 20 lb in 5 gallon cooler :).

Hmmmmm...I might be in for this, if the invite is open.

I might brew too, but not a barleywine, if that is an option.

Is everyone staying in town, or how is that gonna work? Need details. ;)

Hmmmmm...I might be in for this, if the invite is open.

I might brew too, but not a barleywine, if that is an option.

Is everyone staying in town, or how is that gonna work? Need details. ;)

Invite is open to those that want to attend. The barleywine is optional, of course.

The location is: my garage. Need more details? Check your PM.:D

EDIT: There is a guy named Dale that is driving up from Virginia Beach, I can put you in contact with him if you would like to carpool.

So I think pretty much everyone has backed out of the communal B-wine recipe. A pox on all of your houses!!!! ;)

Me, I'm still doing it. Smacked my pack this morning!

Invite is open to those that want to attend. The barleywine is optional, of course.

The location is: my garage. Need more details? Check your PM.:D

EDIT: There is a guy named Dale that is driving up from Virginia Beach, I can put you in contact with him if you would like to carpool.

Greenboard Dale?

Ok, got your PMs...I still can't commit 100%, but it is looking good.

I'm thinking I will mash in before I leave, and head on over, and do the rest there.

Need to come up with an anti-barleywine recipe :)cross:) and DO THIS!

Sounds freaking fun!

Greenboard Dale?

Ok, got your PMs...I still can't commit 100%, but it is looking good.

I'm thinking I will mash in before I leave, and head on over, and do the rest there.

Need to come up with an anti-barleywine recipe :)cross:) and DO THIS!

Sounds freaking fun!

Not sure about the greenboard, but I know he is on HB******* (O'flan's site).

I am officially...IN!!!!!!!

I'm gonna shoot at being there by 10 AM, 10:30 at the latest unless i get lost.

I am going to mash in before I leave, and the hour+ drive will be plenty of time for conversion. When I get there I'll heat water, sparge and do the boil thing. I started putting together the mobile brewery this evening...man I have a lot of junk.

So...what are we doing for eats? And beer?

FL...is your house the tan one with the trailer in front of the double garage?

So...what are we doing for eats? And beer?

FL...is your house the tan one with the trailer in front of the double garage?

I have the only garage in my vicinity...and my house is tan, so possibly yes. I guess you're looking at googlemaps?

As for eats, I'm picking up some burgers, brats and dogs to grill up on my little weber kettle grill, I'm moving the kegerator into the garage, plus I have plenty of commercial beers in the fridge (I haven't brewed much since number two came along).

I have the only garage in my vicinity...and my house is tan, so possibly yes. I guess you're looking at googlemaps?

As for eats, I'm picking up some burgers, brats and dogs to grill up on my little weber kettle grill, I'm moving the kegerator into the garage, plus I have plenty of commercial beers in the fridge (I haven't brewed much since number two came along).

Streetview RAWKS...

Kegerator...will it hold an extra corny?

I plan on bringing some beer one way or another...and I was contemplating bringing a crock-pot full of pulled beef for sammiches. Is that cool? We can plug that sucker in outside in the garage and eat sammiches til we can't move.

What about a TV for the football games?

How many total people do we have coming, and how many are brewing?

Streetview RAWKS...

Kegerator...will it hold an extra corny?
We can swap out my keg of Newcastle clone that tastes...biscuity (still green?) if you want to bring a keg, that's cool (I'd much rather drink something you made :D). The other tap contains Apfelwein, plus my plethora of Michibeers.

I plan on bringing some beer one way or another...and I was contemplating bringing a crock-pot full of pulled beef for sammiches. Is that cool? We can plug that sucker in outside in the garage and eat sammiches til we can't move.
Sammiches sound yummy.

What about a TV for the football games?
There was talk on the "other" forum of using SWMBO's mac for a brewcast, but I can rig up a TV in the garage as well. You'll understand if I'm not too interested in the NFL these days.

How many total people do we have coming, and how many are brewing?
Evan!, Dale, Hagen, Devaspawn, Dude, and Me--all brewing too, but I plan to start earlier so I can get out of everyone elses way.

I have to say something here because I answered your questions in quotes. :D

Streetview RAWKS...

Amend that, streetview is creepy. That looks like someone was standing at my driveway with a camera. That was recent too, I keep my trailer at a friends house, I only had it there because we cut down two trees this past summer.

UPDATED: start time is 10:00, but Flyin' Lion has indicated that if people wanna show up earlier, that's fine because he's going to be getting started earlier anyway.

Amend that, streetview is creepy. That looks like someone was standing at my driveway with a camera. That was recent too, I keep my trailer at a friends house, I only had it there because we cut down two trees this past summer.

How do you think they do that? A friend of mine thinks the cameras are on the city dump trucks....I agree, it is creepy....

FL....do you have a way to heat a c-load of water so I don't have to bring a separate HLT/Ladder/etc? We can figure out how to get sparge water into my mash-tun later--as long as you have a way to heat it, I'm cool.

I'll bring a full tank of propane too. And a burner. and a lotta other stuff. And sammiches.

My setup is a 5 gallon cooler, 20 qt stock pot and a 15.5 gallon keggle. I heat my sparge water in the stock pot and should be done sparging by the time you arrive. Is 5 gallons enough to sparge with?

I have two relatively full propane tanks, and Home Depot isn't far.

Well my son's mother has thrown a monkey wrench into my plans. I may not be able to make it. Negotiations are still in the works. If I make it I may not be able to brew. If that is the case I would still very much like to hang and try to be helpful. Best case scenario I would still like to brew but I just don't know yet... I will try to update as best I can.

Well my son's mother has thrown a monkey wrench into my plans. I may not be able to make it. Negotiations are still in the works. If I make it I may not be able to brew. If that is the case I would still very much like to hang and try to be helpful. Best case scenario I would still like to brew but I just don't know yet... I will try to update as best I can.

Sorry to hear this Devaspawn, but we'll keep a spot open for you. :mug:

Still not sure what the status is for me coming out tomorrow and as I am Hagen's ride that puts his attendance in peril as well. I definitely won't be brewing but may still come down and hang out and help.

I'm now bringing a buddy along...

And Mr Lion, what about my dog? Can I bring him? He is a little wimp and is fairly good...I can keep him leashed up to the vehicle if you have concerns. My neighbor who would have let him out once during the day is gonna be out of town tomorrow. Be honest, if you'd prefer not, he can be in the kennel while Im gone. He's gone a long time in there in the past.

I'm now bringing a buddy along...

And Mr Lion, what about my dog? Can I bring him? He is a little wimp and is fairly good...I can keep him leashed up to the vehicle if you have concerns. My neighbor who would have let him out once during the day is gonna be out of town tomorrow. Be honest, if you'd prefer not, he can be in the kennel while Im gone. He's gone a long time in there in the past.

Bring the dog, I'm cool with it. Although I think you're probably already on the way.:eek:

Well, it was a long day, but we had a great time and ended up with ~16 gallons of wort at the end of the day. We really tried our best to get a webstream going, but to no avail. The ustreamtv website wouldn't connect to the camera on the macbook. Ah well.

Dude was mashed in before he go in the car, so he was ready to boil by the time he arrived; Flyin Lion had already mashed and was starting the boil when I got there. They both had normal ales to brew, while I had a huge english barleywine. So not only was mine going to take longer, I was also a good ways behind. I think my mash was 90 minutes because of a positive starch test at 60 minutes, then my boil had to have been about 3 hours (I had a 3 quart starter at home that I wasn't decanting, and I started with probably 11-12 gallons pre-boil vol, which I needed to get down to about 4.75 gallons. So, yeah, that took a long time. I don't think I'll have to worry too much about lack of melanoidin production ;)

To add insult to injury, I decided to try out Dude's setup with the keggle, hop screen, march pump and plate chiller. Problem was, the hops I needed for this recipe happened to be ones I only had in pellet form, which his hop screen didn't like too much. So we ended up with at least a gallon of wort still in the keggle after 20 minutes or so, and the pump couldn't pull any more, so we just dumped the still-hot wort into the funnel strainer straight from the keggle, and I had to sit there stirring over top of the funnel screen because of all the pellet hop junk. After sitting in the garage for another hour, then sitting in the car for another 90 minutes on the way home, I was still at 74F when I got home! Moral of this story is: pellet hops suck balls!

Sorry Deva, Hagen and Dale couldn't make it. You guys missed out on a lot of great beer and great slow-cooked beef sammiches (thanks, Dude!) You also missed out on an awesome Iron Orr Brewery pint glass (thanks again, Dude!).

Lastly, a big thanks to Flyin' Lion and his family for providing a great location to do this, complete with refreshments and everything. Great brewday overall, and since it's exactly halfway between Dude and I, I think we're going to be doing this again soon. So stay tuned!

Evan!, you left your tub of 5.2 here. I can hold on to it for the next brewday, or send it to you. Let me know.

It was an EXCELLENT time! I really get a charge out of brewing and talking beer with knowledgeable dudes. It was a total blast and we need to do it again.

I think between all of us, we solved the world's problems! We deduced a possibility in why Flyin' Lion doesn't think his Newcastle Clone is up to speed, we know that pellet hops are the devil, and we know December days can be a bit chilly--among many other things.

At any rate, hopefully we brewed up 15 gallons (or so) of some pretty good beer. I know we drank some awesome beer.

I brought along a 20 ozer of olllllllllllllllo's Hatch Cream that he had sent me, and it was phenomenal. Dude you did an awesome job on that beer and I'm going to brew it. We split that with a few of the neighbors as well and they were impressed too.

Redhook Double Black is pretty decent too. I didn't have much of an expectation for it, but it was a pretty good stout. I'll be buying more of it.

I wanna thank you guys for making it happen, and thanks Jason for hosting--it was awesome. My buddy and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves!

Let's do it again SOON (in fact, the sooner you plan it, the sooner you'll have an immersion chiller of your very own ;) )!!!!!!!!!

A good time was had by all, but there were some kinks to work out. First, I need to get this brewcast with ustreamtv.com worked out. Next, I need to remember to switch the tv to antenna instead of cable when I hook it up to the rabbit ears in the garage (sorry we couldn't watch football, Dude).:eek:

The weather cooperated, for the most part, and I really enjoyed my first "group brew" definitely something I'll want to do again soon.

ollllllllllo, the Hatch Cream was good, Jalapenos are not something I would expect to go well with beer. Evan brought some Beer de Garde (sp?) that was a big hit as well.

A big thanks to those that showed, and my apologies for those that didn't--life gets in the way sometimes and there's always another brew day.

Yeah, I definitely wanted to make it. If for nothing else than to settle a discussion between Hagen and myself. We're both libertarians and we both took a test. I showed a little to the left of libertarian and he showed a little to the right. We are both pretty convinced that Evan would hit dead center on the libertarian test. :D.

Really though, it seemed like a it would be a good time and it sounds like it was. I really wanted to put some names to some faces. I figured it would be fun to meet some new brewers. I am jealous.

If you guys do it again the longer out the notice the better chance for me.

Back