Shipping beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukebrewer

Brew the brew!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I need to ship some beer, but I am having some trouble figuring out how to do it. My original plan was to use UPS, but I went in there to pick up a package the other day and there was a sign that said they would open up and inspect my package before shipping. Will this be an issue if they see the bottles but can't tell what's actually in the bottles? If this doesn't work out, does anyone know any better ways to ship beer? Thanks.

-AJ

I've never had UPS open up any of my packages. If they wont ship it just turn around and walk out and go over and ship with fedex. Very rarely do I even get asked whats inside the box

I forget who or what thread but someone said they ship under the label "Active Yeast cultures". Which is also true.

I'm no expert on US domestic shipping but Isn't USPS still considerably cheaper than UPS and Fedex?

Every BJCP sanctioned event I've considered entering always says specifically not to use USPS to ship beer. Rather than look up why, I just always went private.

Below is my boiler plate answer, however each UPS store is a franchise and is free to handle this in any manner they please or the state of CT's ACB (Alcohol Control Board) got to them.

Essentially, it's not legal, but it boils down to which agency of the government you want to run afoul of and what is the liklihood of enforcement, siezure, or civil or criminal fines.

1) It is against Federal law to ship alcohol via the USPS.
2) It's against policy to ship alcohol via Fed Ex, DHL, UPS unless you are a valid shipper of alcohol. If your package breaks, they may turn your package to your state's alcohol control board or they may return it to you, or they may dispose of it, or they may re-pack it and ship it. You are at the mercy of that employee.
3) It's undoubtedly against state law (UT inparticular) to ship beer. I read on realbeer that UT's ACB has siezed likely alcohol shipments. Google it.
4) It's against the law to ship alcohol to minors.
5) It's against the law to ship alcohol to another country without using a customs approved shipper. See beertown.org for information about their world beer contest.

So don't do #1 or #4 or #5. If you do #2, make sure your package is bulletproof. Don't identify the contents as alcohol. Don't get insurance, etc.

#3.... just move.

Deny everything.

Thanks for the replies. I'll give UPS a try and see what happens. Also, I have two bottles generously wrapped in newspaper in a small box that allows little, if any, movement inside the box. Will this packing method work if I put "Handle with care" on the box? Thanks.

Get an Online account at UPS.com and pay for your shipment with your credit card. Print out your pre-paid shipping label, tape it to the box, then drop the box off at any UPS store, Staples, Office Max, or any UPS drop off location that you find on their web site. Just hand them the box and ask them to place it with their outgoing shipments.

They won't ask what is in it.

When ever I travel around the country, I always bring a collapsed box in my suitcase. I buy local brews....use the newspaper that usually comes with the hotel stay...., wrap the beer up, and pack in the box (I bring shipping tape as well). I find a mailbox etc.... (or some other similar chain) and ship via FedEx ground. The store always ask what I'm shipping.... I always reply..."Empty bottles....I'm a collector...." It isn't cheap but I've done this at least 10 times (I'm in MD....and I've shipped from Texas, CA, Mass....etc) and I've never had an issue. It's nice to get home....but even nicer when your care package arrives a couple days later....

Brilliant! EdWort, that is the best idea I have seen. We get UPS shipments daily at the dealership. I will do that and hand it off to the parts department to give to the driver when he comes in.

Every BJCP sanctioned event I've considered entering always says specifically not to use USPS to ship beer. Rather than look up why, I just always went private.

It's illegal to ship alcohol via USPS, but its only against the policies of Fedex and UPS to ship alcohol.

Thanks for the replies. I'll give UPS a try and see what happens. Also, I have two bottles generously wrapped in newspaper in a small box that allows little, if any, movement inside the box. Will this packing method work if I put "Handle with care" on the box? Thanks.

The biggest threat to the bottles is if they bang into each other. The second biggest threat is the guys throwing boxes around.

The only people that usually actually look at the boxes are at the beginning and end of shipment and those are usually the people that handle boxes gently. In the middle is where the boxes get thrown around and those guys handle so many boxes they dont have time to notice if it says "fragile", "handle with care", or "stuffed with cotton"

When I ship beers I only use newspaper as my packing material. How I pack depends on how many I'm shipping. If its a large amount I'll pack them in a box within a box, but you never want to put too many in one box. A full case is pushing it, it gets heavy enough that it demands being tossed from one place to another.

Try to keep the weight under 25-30 lbs. A while ago I weighed some bottles I was shipping and it seemed to average just under 4 lbs for a group of 3 bottles.

Edit: One other thing. If you really want to know if your package is survivable, drop it from a height of about 4 feet and see if it starts leaking or you hear breakage. If you can survive that then you should be good to go.

If this is something you are going to do often and with a group of people, consider buying plastic beer bottles. I got a case for $15 I think and there reusable , even the caps. They won't break or clang together.

Back