Choosing hops for an ESB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agate

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing an ESB this weekend and am looking for feedback on hops. I went on a hops buying binge recently, and now have EKG, fuggles, Bramling Cross, challenger, and some northern brewer that I could use. My latest thought was to use 1 oz challenger at 60min, and 1 oz Bramling Cross at 20 min and flameout. Does this sound ok or should I go another direction? I've never used Bramling Cross, so I'd like to try this one for late additions, but I'd appreciate any other feedback.

You've got a great assortment of British hops that should all work well in an ESB. I don't think you'd go wrong with any choice(s) you make. EKG with or without Fuggles is a classic approach, but you might find something you like more with a different hop schedule. I like challenger up to about 20 minutes, same with Fuggles; northern brewer makes for a neutral bittering additions; EKG is an excellent finisher; and I have no idea about Bramling Cross because I've only ever heard the name :D

I have no idea what it tastes like either, that's why I want to try it! Maybe I should play it safe with EKG/fuggles, but what's the fun in that?

Well, why not try Bramling Cross & EKG for flavor additions? Maybe some EKG at 3 minutes for a bit of aroma as well?

Well, why not try Bramling Cross & EKG for flavor additions? Maybe some EKG at 3 minutes for a bit of aroma as well?

This is basically what I ended up doing. EKG at 60, BC at 15, and an oz each of EKG and BC at flameout. The aroma coming from the BC was really unique, in a good way. Unfortunately my yeast starter failed, with the smack pack being stuck in a UPS truck over 4th of July weekend (thanks Midwest...) Pitched Nottingham as a backup, so hopefully I can keep it cool enough in the next few days. I haven't had great results in the past with Nottingham, so wish me luck!

I recently made an Amber ESB, using Nugget @60 and Fuggles @ 10. I am not a fan of EKG, as I find as the bottles condition, I get a strong metallic taste I find offensive. This was my first Amber ESB using Nugget hops and I really liked the results. I like U.S. Golding in ESB's, right along with Fuggles.

Back