Adding Pure Vanilla Extract...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skunkyhops

Reaction score
1-13-08 I bottled 5 gal. of my first brown ale... I added one oz. of pure vanilla extract to the last 12 bottles at bottling time, just to "play'' around. Last night I was looking at one of the bottles with the vanilla in it and i could see all these little black specs almost like little specs of dirt, and im wondering if I have a problem or if the black is simply some suspended vanilla?

I've used beans several times and get the same black specks. It takes a while, but they will eventually settle out.

I used pure vanilla extract in a creme stout and due to the color saw no specks (or light for that matter) but the beer was excellent.

Skunkyhops said:
1-13-08 I bottled 5 gal. of my first brown ale... I added one oz. of pure vanilla extract to the last 12 bottles at bottling time, just to "play'' around. Last night I was looking at one of the bottles with the vanilla in it and i could see all these little black specs almost like little specs of dirt, and im wondering if I have a problem or if the black is simply some suspended vanilla?

Yeah, just like when you buy good vanilla ice-cream and it has little black (pepper-like) specks, its the same thing. Although, 1 oz of vanilla to the 144 oz of beer is a lot. I think most people only add 1 oz to an entire batch.

srm775 said:
. Although, 1 oz of vanilla to the 144 oz of beer is a lot. I think most people only add 1 oz to an entire batch.

I know thats what i thought to but while i was bottling i got into like this Bottling "Zone" it was just me and my bottle filler wand filling bottle after bottle, by the time i looked up at how many bottles i had left that was it and i intended on using 1oz for half the batch. I was kinda basing it off Cheesefoods vanilla caramel cream ale where he adds 2 oz's in primary and another 4oz's at botttling. Im guessing the 12 vanilla browns i have will be conditioning for the next couple months.

well, not all vanilla extract is created equal either. so you might be fine, or perfect, or way too vanilla.

12 bottles isn't much if it ends up being 'ruined'...and was worth the experiment so you know for next time.

malkore said:
well, not all vanilla extract is created equal either. so you might be fine, or perfect, or way too vanilla.
12 bottles isn't much if it ends up being 'ruined'...and was worth the experiment so you know for next time.

I agree and i admitt it wasnt the best quality extract it was Mcormics? I had already spent like 20 bucks on 6oz's of "gourmet" vanilla alone for the Vanilla Caramel Cream Ale I brewed up last weekend, so i went cheap to see if there was a notable difference in quality.

Back