flat beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davelovesbeer

Reaction score
I just checked a brown ale I bottled about 10 days ago and it's still totally flat. Does that mean the yeast is finished? is there any way to fix it or do i just need to wait?

Did you use any priming sugar prior to bottling or did you bottle straight from your primary? How long did you ferment?

And how did you prime it, and at what temperature have you kept the bottles since priming? In any case, ten days almost never is long enough to wait after priming.

TL

What was the OG and FG of the beer? What kinda yeast? How much sugar was added?

You probably just need to wait.

General practice is 3 weeks for carbonation but all the questions above are a factor in your success as well.

I've heard of this trick for root beer, but dunno if it works for beer. Not a big concern for me because I keg and when I get tired of waiting on carbonation, I just crank up the CO2. Oops...the raisin trick.

With Root Beer, while filling the bottles, drop a raisin in one of them. When the raisin floats to the surface, your root beer is fully carbonated.
I have no idea if this works with beer and to be honest I have not tried it with root beer because I use plastic bottles for root beer. I know it is carbonated when the bottles get hard.

o.g. 41, f.g. 12. the ale was made from a kit, I used the 5 oz. priming sugar that came with it. The og and fg were what recipe said they would be. It may be a bit cold in my basement (63 deg.) but the last batch I bottled 3 weeks earlier carbonated fine down there.

My basement sits at about 52-55'F. It takes a 4-6 weeks to properly carbonate. If you up the temp to 70', as Edwort recommends, it will take 3 weeks.

I often drink flat beer :eek:

Latest posts

Back