JOAM First attempts something wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajoha2003

Reaction score
Hi. The JOAM is currently around 3 month old. and its not clear. It looks fogy in side. I am not sure what happened wrong. I think because the temperature dropped from 75 to 60 and was left in that temperature for a month or so. and way to fix it?

Attaching the picture maybe has idea how to fix it.

IMG_0974.jpg

You are going to HATE this advice but I say give it another month. You can put it in the fridge and wait and you can hit it with a little gelatin, but waiting works best for me. Nothing there looks out of the ordinary. It does that sometimes.

I was thinking to rack it. But even the liquid on top looks fogy something white like cloud in it.

it doesn't smell bad. Its a smell like i never smelled before but not bad. i am afraid to test it because of the fogginess.

If it smelly like alcohol and honey that's a good start. I'm no mead expert but without the help of finnings it can be a long wait until wine clears up. The sluggish fermentation of honey doesn't help the timeline either. From the look of the size of the yeast bed I'd say that's still in it's primary.

Rack it to another container, taste it and do a little more waiting. If you are impatient hit it with sparkolloid.

The haze isnt harmful either. You could give it a taste without worry.

Personally, like I said... Id give it a month, and if that doesnt clear it up Id put it in the fridge.

I am pretty sure it stooped fermenting. Yes its in the primary. going to try to rack it and see what going to happene.

It appears the fruit has already dropped, it's supposed to be ready when the fruit drops. But...it definitely hasn't cleared. At three months I would think you'd want to be thinking about getting it off that fruit. Mind you, I'm a newbee so take any of my advice with a grain of salt. :)

Like CG said, give it another month (maybe racked off the fruit and lees). If it's still cloudy put it in the refrigerator.

My JAOM fermented at around 68F degrees. At a little over two months the oranges and most of the raisins were still floating and it was somewhat cloudy. We had a cold front come through and it lowered the temperature in the room down into the low 60F's...around 63-64F degrees. The fruit dropped in a few days and the mead really started clearing up. The reason I mention this is that you mentioned that your fermentation temperature dropped down to 60F...apparently your fruit dropped but the mead didn't clear....your's didn't respond like mine did to the drop in temperature. Just the way of mead, I guess? :confused:

Best wishes,
Ed

Back