Carbonation Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephen115

Reaction score
Hi, I've been making root beer for a few months now but in small quantities. I've acquired a mixing/bottling bucket, 5L mini keg and a keg charger. I was using yeast to carbonate but it was just too nasty! So What I did was take a bottle cap and put a tire valve on it, using my keg charger to carbonate the soda in 1L bottles. I just ordered some more ingredients an I'd like to carbonate the whole 5 liters (or what I can) of soda. Can I charge the keg with my charger? and how many co2 cartridges would it take and for how long? if it's not possible what would be another approach?

Thank you
SJ

Hi, I've been making root beer for a few months now but in small quantities. I've acquired a mixing/bottling bucket, 5L mini keg and a keg charger. I was using yeast to carbonate but it was just too nasty! So What I did was take a bottle cap and put a tire valve on it, using my keg charger to carbonate the soda in 1L bottles. I just ordered some more ingredients an I'd like to carbonate the whole 5 liters (or what I can) of soda. Can I charge the keg with my charger? and how many co2 cartridges would it take and for how long? if it's not possible what would be another approach?

Thank you
SJ

I don't know for sure, but I've used those keg chargers before to dispense beer. It sure seems like it will take a LOT of cylinders to carb up 5 liters of soda with the chargers. The other thing is there is no regulator, so you could potentially blow up a little keg.

I don't know for sure, but I've used those keg chargers before to dispense beer. It sure seems like it will take a LOT of cylinders to carb up 5 liters of soda with the chargers. The other thing is there is no regulator, so you could potentially blow up a little keg.

what other choices do I have to achieve carbonation?

Look into a 2.5 gal corney keg. With a 5lb co2 tank.
I think this is ok because I'm sure you will want a little more to expand your supply in the future. I know you will want more root beer. I think it's just enough to start your soda making.

Back