Using Wyeast 1272 in Moose Drool (Brown Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Would using Wyeast 1272 instead of Wyeast 1332 Northwest yeast drastically change the profile of this beer? I like Moose Drool, but I would like a cleaner finish.

1272 is a pretty clean strain with a notable nuttiness to it. 1332 is a bit fruity, maybe a bit bread-y as well, it's an English strain, so it has English characteristics. Both are great yeasts and will make a good brown ale. If you're going for clean, use the 1272 and ferment cool. You could also go with the classic 1056/us-05, which is a really clean yeast.

Should turn out well. That yeast has yet to let me down. The nuttiness will accentuate the malt flavors, which will be perfect in a brown ale. Outta curiosity, are you doing Northern Brewers famed Caribou Slobber?

I am, which I have brewed before, and it was just a little bit too fruity for me. It may have been my fault with the fermentation temps though.

I am, which I have brewed before, and it was just a little bit too fruity for me. It may have been my fault with the fermentation temps though.

It's a good kit for sure! High temps'll definitely give you a fruit-y brew, but IME, 1272 is a lot less finicky than the 1332. Both will get fruit-y if too warm, but the 1272 is much cleaner overall. When I'm not being lazy and using dry all the time, it's pretty much my 'go-to' for American ales.

I don't get it. I just bought a sixer of Moose Drool, and I don't find it outstanding in any way. Granted the last time I had a Newcastle, I said it would be my last. Okay, it doesn't suck, but I think it finishes too sweet, and it's really light in the mouth feel. At least for my liking. I will brew the clone of course, and use the ESB 1968 yeast as the malt is very forward. By using a long boil, I can keep the maltiness up, and not have to have a real sweet finish by changing the recipe slightly. Just my .02.

I don't think there's anything to get. Moose Drool is just a brown ale, a low gravity, malt forward session beer. I agree, MD is a tad sweet for my liking too, but many browns are. If you like a dryer, slightly more chewy brown, try brewing a clone of Surly Bender (I think NB has a kit). It's a dry, crisp brown that uses oats to enhance the mouthfeel. Another option would be to do the Caribou Slobber and mash a bit lower (or add a bit of dextrose if doing extract).

I know this is an ancient thread, but I want to know how the Caribou Slobber/Moose Drool beers ended up. I plan on doing Adventures in Homebrewing Bells Best Brown clone with 1272 next week. My LHBS said 1272 is Bells Brewery's 'house strain' and do almost all their beers with it. I just don't like the word 'tart' in the description for the yeast. I am hoping if I ferment on the cool side I get a hint of nut, but certainly don't want any 'tart' or 'fruity' elements in my brown ale this fall.

Back