Danby Designer 10.2 cu ft Chest Freezer (model DCFM289WDD)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alelog

Reaction score
Hi all,

Long-time reader, first-time poster. ;-)

I'm considering the Danby Designer 10.2 cu ft Chest Freezer (model DCFM289WDD) for my keezer build. It's available online only at Home Depot (for $299), so I can't see it for myself and take inside measurements.

If anyone has it, could you possibly provide inside measurements in the style of the following thread (no longer active): Keezer/Freezer/Kegerator Inside Dimension Database?

If you could confirm the outer dimensions at Danby's webpage, that'd be great too. The outer dimensions seem much different from comparably sized models of other brands. The reason I'm considering this model is that the high depth (for this size) may allow two ball-lock kegs to fit in line front-to-back. Of course, the high depth and width may mean that I have to build a collar even for the non-hump area.

In short, detailed inside dimensions (and any advice on this model) would be highly appreciated.

Cheers,
-Alexey

I too am looking at this freezer. It actually seems to be abut the same height as the GE 7.0 which can fit ball locks on the floor with no collar easily. The dimensions on Home Depot's website are rediculous though. I think there is one part that says it only weighs 1.5 lbs! I'm just hoping that it will fit 4 ball locks on the floor with room to spare. It may even fit 5 on the floor if we are lucky!

Detailed inside dimensions are available via the link you provided:

H = 34 10/16"
W = 51 9/16"
D = 28 7/16"

my guess the internal dimensions would be approximately 41" by 19" with a height of approximatley 27", i have no idea where the hump is located on this freezer. With a collar you should be able to fit 8 with a collar and probably 6 without a collar.

I think I might buy one of these myself, put 2 3-gallons on the hump and I can have an 8 beer setup, 5 taps and a couple of picnics for my special hidden beers.

Detailed inside dimensions are available via the link you provided:

H = 34 10/16"
W = 51 9/16"
D = 28 7/16"

Those are not the interior dimensions, the interior width cannot be wider than the entire units finished width. Those figures are the carton dimensions

Well, i have a few Home Depot coupons and gift cards coming to me, i just hope there is a way to get the VA discount via the website. Otherwise i'll find somewhere else to get it since it is only available online.

stop into a store and have them order from in-store. I am really tempted to put one of these in a basement closet and run it through the wall to my future bar setup....hopefully 8 kegs total, 5-taps of beer, 3-4 beer, 1 skeeter pee, 1 hard cider, 2 of water dedicated for running a wunderbar....oh to dream!

Wow! Didn't know you could do that!! Thanks for the idea!

buy some bag-n-box soda syrup, some pumps for the soda syrup, and a wundergun. Have as many types of soda on tap as you want, just need one line dedicated to carbonated water (I figure 2 3-gallon kegs, that way if one runs dry I can tap into the other pre-carbonated one, plus no need for a collar with the 3-gallon kegs)

Did anyone happen to find out more about the interior of this puppy? It sounds like a great size.

I have not been able to find out the dimensions internally, but I am leaning towards a Sunbeam 10.6 from Menards, $250 and will fit 8 kegs with a collar, 6 without.

Yeah, no Menards here either. I think i am going to wait until Home Depot has a small sale on appliances and head in there and get one. i have $60 in gift cards ready to go toward it. Lets just hope they have a sale soon as my other kegerator isn't really up to snuff.

So I called Danby and got the interior dimensions:

42.75" wide
17.25" depth
25" height

You lose 8" in width to the compressor and it runs the entire depth. She told me the compressor height but unfortunately I forgot to note it.

Given a 34.75 x 17.25 area, I popped this into Google Sketchup and damn if it doesn't look like it'll hold 6 on the floor. I know that's a really crude way of doing it but considering I can't see this unit in hand there's no alternative!

Looks like 6 with room on either side. Though the 17.25 is pretty tight. Only .25" with the megs right next to one another...assuming they are 8.5" each.

I just staggered mine and it looks like 6 comfortably. I may bite the bullet and be a guinea pig!

I like how you think!

The hump is 9" in height... so if anyone is planning on a collar it would need to be a big one!

I like how you think!

The hump is 9" in height... so if anyone is planning on a collar it would need to be a big one!

I was planning on putting a collar on mine regardless, but not sure if the 9" collar would even be worth it. I was thinking of a 4" collar to put all the taps on something. Though at the point of putting a collar on anyway, going from 4" to 9" really wont matter. I wonder if it would be tall enough to fit a carboy on the hump with a 4" collar? I'd just have to extend the hump slightly, looks like there is space to extend the hump about 5-7" depending on if the kegs can be stacked or HAVE to be staggered.

My brain is going crazy now trying to figure out all the different ways to fill this freezer...you are going to make be buy this thing before they have any sort of sale now! :)

LOL, well if it comforts you I already did haha. Should be here in a few days. I wasn't patient enough to wait for Home Depot to get it back in stock because after calling them they sounded pretty unsure when that would happen.

Ya 4" definitely won't be a big enough collar to use the hump. I think realistically you'd need a 10" collar. But, 6 kegs on the floor is quite good. For me, that's what I wanted because I need the hump for a cold water bucket for my immersion chiller.

AWESOME!!

Take some pics when you get it with the kegs inside so we can see how everything actually fits.

thanks for taking the initiative and going out and buying it for the cause! :)

So I called Danby and got the interior dimensions:

42.75" wide
17.25" depth
25" height

You lose 8" in width to the compressor and it runs the entire depth. She told me the compressor height but unfortunately I forgot to note it.

Given a 34.75 x 17.25 area, I popped this into Google Sketchup and damn if it doesn't look like it'll hold 6 on the floor. I know that's a really crude way of doing it but considering I can't see this unit in hand there's no alternative!

I also called Danby a few days ago. I wanted to know the dimensions of the slightly smaller Danby Designer 8.7 cu. ft. (DCFM246WDD), as well. It's $269 online at Home Depot. The young lady who answered the phone was nice enough to go and measure the two freezers.

For the 10.2, she gave me:

17.5" deep
25" high (in the non-hump area)
35" wide (excluding the hump)

For the 8.7, she gave me:

17.5" deep
25" high (in the non-hump area)
29" wide (excluding the hump)

Based on an online straight-down photo of the 8.7 online, the hump must be close to 8.5" wide. Taking your later report of the 9" hump height, gives me 8.72 cu ft for the smaller freezer and 10.24 cu ft for the larger freezer (assuming that the hump is the same for the two freezers). All that to say that we're likely close on dimensions.

The good news is that even the 8.7 cu ft freezer is likely a great option. Using a layout program, I see it fitting: 6 ball-lock kegs, 4 ball-lock kegs + a carboy, 2 ball-lock kegs + 2 carboys (all without using the hump).

The bad news is that 25" is exactly the height of a ball-lock keg (not leaving space for the disconnects). Does this mean that without building a collar, one can't even use picnic taps in the freezer?

jcaudill, when you get it, would you mind posting your own detailed measurements and checking whether you could close the lid with disconnects attached to ball-lock kegs? Thanks a lot for taking the risk for the greater good of homebrew-drinking mankind!

I will definitely do that. I am ordering the keg parts today so it may not be until next week before I'm able to post pictures but I will! Measurements I can do I believe Friday.

Revision to my previous statement: the 10.2 should fit 8 ball locks easily given a 8-8.5" diameter.

I plan on building a 6" collar - don't really see why it would need to be any bigger than that. I'm also building a rolling platform to elevate / make it easier to load.

That Danby 8.7 is looking VERY tempting, 8 kegs....might be a tad tight but might have found my closet keezer

Well, I just stopped by Lowes on the way to Home Depot and lucked into a 14.8 cu. ft. Whirlpool (one with a small round compressor hump) for $296.10 on clearance (model 14.8 cu. ft. ). Signed up for a Lowes card (another 5% off) and now I have the freezer scheduled to be delivered (free) on Friday. Total with tax: $304.

The freezer's footprint is barely larger than that of the Danbys. Given the small compressor, it's also 2" narrower than all other 14.8-15 cu. ft. freezers that I saw. It's a bit less energy efficient (394 KWh yearly EnergyGuide estimate vs other 14.8's 357 kWh) but for the size, dimensions, and price, I couldn't resist. It helps that SHMBO was telling me to go for the bigger one. She said that we'll fit it into our kitchen and use it as a breakfast table with an extended cover and stools.

Whirlpool 14.8 cu. ft. 14.8 cu. ft. outer dimensions:

Depth: 29.5" (including the hinges)
Height: 34.7"
Width: 46"

Whirlpool 14.8 cu. ft. 14.8 cu. ft. inner dimensions are:

Inside: small round hump at right in the back
Hump max width: 10 ½”; max depth: 9”
Width: 40 ¾” (the part without the hump)
Height: ~29” floor; ~18” over hump
Depth: 21.7”

Lots of sales this weekend. HomeDepot has a 14.8 cu ft GE for $348 with free delivery. Sears has a 13 cu. ft. Kenmore for $328 (you'd have to pick up).

Good luck to all seeking refreshment and Happy Fourth!

Back