RIMS System Schematics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ocluke

Reaction score
This thread is designed to be a single resource for posting schematics/diagrams for RIMS system builds. There is no shortage of HERMS system build diagram schematics on this site, but finding RIMS system build diagrams have proven more difficult.

Please post your system's plumbing diagram, and if you have a build thread associated with it, add a link to the thread.

UPDATE: Let's keep this thread clean by only posting diagrams of system builds. If you want to participate in other RIMS related discussions, here are some threads you can visit:

Definition of RIMS

Brew Tree vs RIMS vs HERMS

RIMS for Dummies

A RIMS build project

Yes, that thread is a great read (currently 56 pages) that discusses best practices in building RIMS tubes and controlling temperature.

The intent of this post is not to discuss what RIMS is, but rather for people to post diagrams of their system builds which could serve as a distilled resource for someone who is looking for schematics to build a brewing system that incorporates RIMS.

For example, I am about to build an all electric BCS controlled single tier 3-vessel RIMS system from scratch. I am looking for various plumbing system schematics to decide how I want to build the system, and I have found very few visual diagrams of RIMS plumbing systems in various corners of the web. I'm sure there are several all over the place, and RIMS is not wildly different from HERMS, but it could help to collectively bring all RIMS build diagrams together into one thread.

All of you Visio, Paint, and SketchUp experts can show your skills :)

For example, below is step 1 of 6 in a plumbing schematic for a RIMS build found here.

FillHLTwithFilteredWater.jpg

Isn't that a HERMS? I thought RIMS uses a heating element directly and HERMS uses a heat exchange system.

From viewing the other steps at the website, it appears to be a direct fired RIMS. The wort is never sent out to a heat exchanger.

From viewing the other steps at the website, it appears to be a direct fired RIMS. The wort is never sent out to a heat exchanger.

It is not really a RIMS if it is direct fired. There is no heat exchanger. A RIMS uses a heat exchanger that contacts the wort to keep the mash tun temperature stable during recirculation. Also a schematic is an electrical diagram. I think what you seek are system designs.

It is not really a RIMS if it is direct fired. There is no heat exchanger. A RIMS uses a heat exchanger that contacts the wort to keep the mash tun temperature stable during recirculation. Also a schematic is an electrical diagram. I think what you seek are system designs.

I think it is well accepted that you can direct fire and it is still RIMS. The key points are that is is recirculated and the hot wort is returned to the top of the grain bed.

Maybe I'm not understanding the schematic, but isn't the copper coil within the BK a heat exchange used to regulate the mash temp? I thought by definition that is a HERMs system.

Thanks,

Maybe I'm not understanding the schematic, but isn't the copper coil within the BK a heat exchange used to regulate the mash temp? I thought by definition that is a HERMs system.

Thanks,

Not to be rude, but if we can keep this thread dedicated to the posting of RIMS diagrams only, and leave the discussion to the threads I offer in the original post, it would be much appreciated.

bump - Finishing a RIMS version of Kal's HERMS Electric Brewery and looking forward to the discussion here.

Edit: Will replace this post with a schematic of my build when I have time. Any suggestions on freeware that does schematics?

I have a couple of diagrams that I developed for some brewer friends.
The first is for a 4500W element system and the second a 5500W system:
(click on the images to see them full scale and can be printed on 11" X 17" paper)

The First Diagram:

The Second Diagram:

Edit: ocluke, After rereading this thread, I hope that the wireing diagrams are part of what you intended for this thread. If not I'll delete the post.

Thanks.,
P-J

P-J said:
I have a couple of diagrams that I developed for some brewer friends.
The first is for a 4500W element system and the second a 5500W system:
(click on the images to see them full scale and can be printed on 11" X 17" paper)

The First Diagram:

http://www.pjmuth.org/beerstuff/images/BCS-460-wiring-2-2.jpg

The Second Diagram:

http://www.pjmuth.org/beerstuff/images/BCS-460-wiring-2-4.jpg

Edit: ocluke, After rereading this thread, I hope that the wireing diagrams are part of what you intended for this thread. If not I'll delete the post.

Thanks.,
P-J

Absolutely, P-J. All diagrams related to RIMS systems are great.

That's real nice P-J. Could I get you to draw me one for my all electric setup? The guy I have been waiting on is too old to do mine I think.
Wise guy.!!

I'm working on it. Spent a few hours on it already. When I get it done and email it to you, I'll be sure to post it in this thread as well. It is a RIMS system afterall.

BTW - The diagrams I posted for the BCS system were drawn last year.

Thats what I assumed....meaning your computer is back on line! Lets go!! :D
Alright. It's done. I like your RIMs tube setup. That is a really neat product. I e-mailed you the file but I figured I'd place it here as well. It is a RIMs diagram after all.

(A small image is displayed. Click on the image to see it in full scale. The full scale diagram can be printed on 11" X 17" [Tabloid] paper.)

BlueLine.jpg

After a lot of thinking the brewery plan through, I made a diagram that eliminates the need for the power contactors. The controller can be built in a smaller panel box as it uses toggle switches that are rated for the element power.

BlueLine.jpg

P-J

Edit: I added a second diagram. (02/05/2011 - 12:08PM EST)

Thanks Paul!! Beautiful work as always! Guess the ball is in my court to get this build completed now... :)
Thanks. Glad you like it.

BTW - I had one hell of a time tracking down a 2000W 240V LWD Incoloy element that would work for the setup. It had to be a 240V unit so that all 3 elements could be fired together along with the pumps. I also wanted the ULD elements so that dry firing would not be an issue. I didn't want to have to deal with circuits to prevent the possibility of dry firing. Plus an Incoloy element saves you a ton of problems down the road.

For everyone interested - (They are pricey but) - This is the only place I could find that had them:
Water Heater Element 240V/2000W, 9-1/2", LWD Stainless Steel

SP10869MM_edited-1.jpg

P-J

I have a very limited space, so I have to use a single kettle and have thus chosen to do a BIAB setup, with RIMS control of the mash but direct fired by LP (I don't have a 240 volt outlet available or I would go all electric). I am not so good at doing any 3d drawings but will give an idea of what the pan is. I will integrate it into a new brew stand, with detachable hopback, RIMS tube and Plate chiller, all with camlock disconnects, with everything else being permanent piping. I will control the RIMS element with 2 PIDs- The RIMS PID will heat to a few degrees over my desired setpoint, and the mash tun PID will cut off power to the RIMS circuit when the mash setpoint is reached. Originally I had planned a bypass of the chiller, but then I realized that I have never managed to clog the thing with BIAB, so I got rid of that circuit to simplify everything.

I am not so good at depicting 3D models, so I split the drawing up to 2 different circuits- the front and the rear. The wort goes through the rear circuit via pump, then to the front circuit, dives down to the chiller then back to the rear circuit and to either the mash tun or the fermentor. All of the three way valves are T valved, not the L configuration.

Here is the rear circuit
5dm5dg

And here is the Front circuit
l90evu

The proportional valve is run off a 4-20mA analog PID and is intended to make the wort flow to the fermentor at whatever temperature I set. This is mostly for use with the hopback, as for normal batches I recirculate to the kettle to cool the whole batch. The whole thing will be controlled with a toolbox with the 3 PIDs in it, still to be built.

Hi All am new to this forum and have just started brewing this year. This thread is intended for RIMS system build diagrams...pictures also say a thousand words, I built the RIMS system for 5 gallon batches - see thumbnail. Works great so far, step mashing no issues, no stuck sparges etc. I researched this and other forums to learn how to build a RIMS myself, thank you all for ideas and best practices. If interested in my set up ask away, thanks

Attachments

• RIMS Build.docx.jpg
    RIMS Build.docx.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 270
Hi calgary222, very nice set up. Love the stand which in itself is quite the project/cost and an amazing way to insulate the steel MLT. Some day I hope to have a similar system. Great diagrams I'll use these some day...on my next improved build. My observations, and not to be negative in any way just looking for best practices, yours looks to be a 120V RIMS set up? How's this working for you? I opted to go 240V for a quicker response time on temp changes. For your RIMS you have it installed horizontal, I heard issues with air pockets forming if installed as such? And I see that you have your RIMS temp control probe installed close to the bottom of your mash MLT rather than at the head of the RIMS. Is this the way to go? How's it in Calgary for brew supply stores? In Ontario we have a couple good stores - seems like we get so much less than what's available in the US...and at a higher cost! No one has picked up on the need for stainless steel product manufacturing in Canada...?? I made the mistake of buying a SS Brew Tech fermenter - I cant get the accessory parts for it in Canada, and the SS Brew Tech in the States will not ship to Canada. Even our brew supply stores cant get what I want from the US. Lesson learned.

and yes is an older Thread but lots of newbies like myself read these oldies to get some education and ideas...

Hi calgary222, very nice set up. Love the stand which in itself is quite the project/cost and an amazing way to insulate the steel MLT. Some day I hope to have a similar system. Great diagrams I'll use these some day...on my next improved build. My observations, and not to be negative in any way just looking for best practices, yours looks to be a 120V RIMS set up? How's this working for you? I opted to go 240V for a quicker response time on temp changes. For your RIMS you have it installed horizontal, I heard issues with air pockets forming if installed as such? And I see that you have your RIMS temp control probe installed close to the bottom of your mash MLT rather than at the head of the RIMS. Is this the way to go? How's it in Calgary for brew supply stores? In Ontario we have a couple good stores - seems like we get so much less than what's available in the US...and at a higher cost! No one has picked up on the need for stainless steel product manufacturing in Canada...?? I made the mistake of buying a SS Brew Tech fermenter - I cant get the accessory parts for it in Canada, and the SS Brew Tech in the States will not ship to Canada. Even our brew supply stores cant get what I want from the US. Lesson learned.
I have my rims setup the same way horizontally and theres no place for air (or liquid) to be trapped the way he has it setup as both are forced or drained fully from either the top port or bottom. this is an older pic and ive since changed my flowswitch type and move it to the outlet by the flowmeter but the layout is the same. I use a 36" super ulwd element at 1800w power (240v) which still raises the mash on a 10 gallon brew 2.5 degrees a minute on average and nets me 91% efficiency which I believe is somewhat due to the gentle heating and no denaturing of enzymes which would happen at the surface with higher density elements. I also recirculate at a slow 1.8gpm average which helps prevent any channeling.

Attachments

• rims4.jpg
    rims4.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Very nice rig Augiedoggy, like the fixed piping..and all else, controllers r awesome.
I have plans for another build in the near future, am stealing some ideas from you.

Back