Irish Red Ale Quaffable Irish Red (Extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J
This recipe sounds great.

I have some questions though

1- When you make the partial boil do you use half of the LME for the boil and half LME at knockout?

2- Will chloramine used by the water service be a problem?

3- Have someone here used Safale US-05 yeast for this beer?

Thanks if someone could help.

1.) Use all the LME for the 60min boil. This is standard for most beers unless you are making light beer and the light gold color is what you are after. Doing a 50/50 addition at 60 and say the last 10 is to reduce potential caramelization.

2.) If the water is clean and tastes good use it. I use wal-mart spring water. Gallon jugs with the sealed top. Never use the crap from the water purification machine. I have heard too many bad stories with people getting bad water from them. Ultra-pure water has an affinity to attract microscopic debris. This only when they are not maintained properly.

3) Go ahead use S-O5. This is an Irish Red, it tends to be an American-Irish Style.

J

1.) Use all the LME for the 60min boil. This is standard for most beers unless you are making light beer and the light gold color is what you are after. Doing a 50/50 addition at 60 and say the last 10 is to reduce potential caramelization.

2.) If the water is clean and tastes good use it. I use wal-mart spring water. Gallon jugs with the sealed top. Never use the crap from the water purification machine. I have heard too many bad stories with people getting bad water from them. Ultra-pure water has an affinity to attract microscopic debris. This only when they are not maintained properly.

3) Go ahead use S-O5. This is an Irish Red, it tends to be an American-Irish Style.

Thanks a lot you've been great at sharing your recipes and answering all kind of questions. BTW I'll do your English Pub Ale too; it sounds very refreshing. :tank:

A friend and I made 10 gallons back at the end of October. It came out great. We both had friends and family drinking it though the holidays. Everyone who tired it really enjoyed it. Thanks for the recipe. :mug:

gonna try this for my St Patricks day brew - headed to the LHBS on thursday to pick up the ingredients - thanks for sharing the recipe

should probably bottle soon but i'm lazy. will this benefit from additional time in fermenter?

How long has it been?

4-6 weeks is ok. I have done done 8 & 12 weeks. I find the yeast takes longer to fully carb your beer the longer you wait on this. This seems to be the case on the more of the flocculant yeasts.

If you stir it up a little during the siphoning it would help. By this I mean ever so slightly so you get some element of yeast into the bottle.

this is your recipe

85.6 6.00 lbs. Briess LME- Gold America 1.035 4
7.1 0.50 lbs. Caramel Pils Malt Belgium 1.034 2
3.6 0.25 lbs. Special Roast Malt America 1.033 40
1.9 0.13 lbs. Biscuit Malt Belgium 1.035 24
1.9 0.13 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350

I am browsing my LHB online store and have found comparatively close ingredients. the site is http://www.beernut.com/zen-cart/ and have found the following goodies.

1. 6.0 lbs coopers light malt extract (LME)
2. 1/2 lb Dingman's Cara 45. (caramel malt) from your recipe
3. .13 lb Dingman's Biscuit Malt
4. .13 lb Dingman's Chocolate Malt
5. 1oz EK Goldings Hops
6. 1oz Willamet Hops

I am missing the 1/2 lb special roast malt Americas and they don't have the WYeast 1272 American Ale II.

They have white labs stuff in ales. should i go with the Irish Ale Yeast or the California ale yeast? And what can I do with the missing americas malts

Well I finnally got to brew this today. Unfortunately my LHBS was out of EK goldings HOps and they didnt have the best alternatives either(Which im pissed about because a month ago they had Goldings). So I eneded up using willamente for both hops additions, will this screw up the taste?? Also they didnt have LME only Extra LME, how will this effect the beer? thanks.

went and picked up the ingredients for this on saturday at my LHBS

i grabbed Special B - Belgian not realizing that it wasn't the same as the special roast

will this significantly change the profile of the beer?

Well I finnally got to brew this today. Unfortunately my LHBS was out of EK goldings HOps and they didnt have the best alternatives either(Which im pissed about because a month ago they had Goldings). So I eneded up using willamente for both hops additions, will this screw up the taste?? Also they didnt have LME only Extra LME, how will this effect the beer? thanks.

I doubt the extract will have much affect. The willamette will change the character but I bet it will taste great (wish I could try it!). It will still be a malty beer just with a bit more American taste. I'm interested to hear back about it once you try it.

My LBS only had the 3.3lb LME Briess jars, would adding 6.6 instead of 6.0 of LME be an issue? I can measure it out but if it isn't going to be a big deal then I won't go to the trouble.

Looking forward to this one!

how much priming sugar did you use for carbing? I am a week into fermenting and I cannot wait! I am just going to leave it in the primary for 3 weeks and then bottle, hope it turns out good.

I made this back in the end of December. Sat in primary for 11 days at around 62 degrees, then transferred to secondary for 2 weeks at 62 degrees. Decided to keg it, so transferred to the keg and wanted to carb it pretty quickly. Turned up to about 30 PSI and shook the keg around for about a minute. It carbed up pretty fast, and has now been in there about 2 weeks. The beer tastes very sweet when I try it... almost yeasty, but I cannot really tell. Do you just think that it needs to settle a bit more in the keg before it is good and ready?

this is your recipe

I am browsing my LHB online store and have found comparatively close ingredients. the site is http://www.beernut.com/zen-cart/ and have found the following goodies.

5. 1oz EK Goldings Hops
6. 1oz Willamet Hops

I am missing the 1/2 lb special roast malt Americas and they don't have the WYeast 1272 American Ale II.

They have white labs stuff in ales. should i go with the Irish Ale Yeast or the California ale yeast? And what can I do with the missing americas malts

Use the irish ale yeast. The missing malt will leave out the roasted taste. Not a bad change but it won't be the same.

The hops will not change it much if you add the right amount. If the alfa acid of the hop is way different it can change the ibu or effect the bitterness. As for the malt the beer will be lighter in taste.

i grabbed Special B - Belgian not realizing that it wasn't the same as the special roast

Special B will make it taste quite different. It will have a raison-like taste to it afterwards. Thats not necessarily bad. Just different.

how much priming sugar did you use for carbing? I am a week into fermenting and I cannot wait! I am just going to leave it in the primary for 3 weeks and then bottle, hope it turns out good.

Use five oz of corn sugar to prime.

I made this back in the end of December. Sat in primary for 11 days at around 62 degrees, then transferred to secondary for 2 weeks at 62 degrees. Decided to keg it, so transferred to the keg and wanted to carb it pretty quickly. Turned up to about 30 PSI and shook the keg around for about a minute. It carbed up pretty fast, and has now been in there about 2 weeks. The beer tastes very sweet when I try it... almost yeasty, but I cannot really tell. Do you just think that it needs to settle a bit more in the keg before it is good and ready?

Your problem is that 62f was too cold. Its sweet because it wasn't done fermenting. Now that is carbbed its alittle late to do much of anything. You could yank it from the fridge, let warm up, siphon back to a fermenter, after a few days repitch some yeast. It can't tell you how it will turn out after all of that. Id do that rather than drink sweet beer.

this is your recipe

5. 1oz EK Goldings Hops
6. 1oz Willamet Hops

Use the irish ale yeast. The missing malt will leave out the roasted taste. Not a bad change but it won't be the same.

The hops will not change it much if you add the right amount. If the alfa acid of the hop is way different it can change the ibu or effect the bitterness. As for the malt the beer will be lighter in taste.

Special B will make it taste quite different. It will have a raison-like taste to it afterwards. Thats not necessarily bad. Just different.

Use five oz of corn sugar to prime.

Your problem is that 62f was too cold. Its sweet because it wasn't done fermenting. Now that is carbbed its alittle late to do much of anything.

Well..... Rethinking this.

You could yank it from the fridge, let warm up, siphon back to a fermenter, after a few days repitch some yeast. It can't tell you how it will turn out after all of that. Id do that rather than drink sweet beer.

thanks for the update, ended up going back and getting caraamber instead - LHBS didnt have special roast, victory or biscuit at the time but they said this would work best

2 weeks fermenting so far, took a FG today, 1.012, the same as it was after checking at 1 week

taste is coming along nicely, looking forward to tasting the fully conditioned beer for st patricks day

thanks again

Bottled it after two weeks only cause I didnt have any beer at all and I was impatient lol, but its been in the bottle 17 days now and its [almost there! I had one at 7 days(i KNow, I know), 10 days, 14 days, and now 17 days(ive had three tonight....) and its almost ready. I am pumped to drink this over a month into carbonation. I will say the color turned out great and the head is awesome already, will deff brew this again. Gonna be perfect for st. Patty's day :tank:

how does the flavor come through after a month conditioning? Don't get me wrong I like it now at three weeks, but I would deff like a little more malt flavor to come through, will I notice more in the next couple weeks?

how does the flavor come through after a month conditioning? Don't get me wrong I like it now at three weeks, but I would deff like a little more malt flavor to come through, will I notice more in the next couple weeks?

You might notice a little more malt flavor, as the late hop addition starts to fade. It will continue up to a point. Odds will be that it won't last long enough for that to occurr, so make more.

You might notice a little more malt flavor, as the late hop addition starts to fade. It will continue up to a point. Odds will be that it won't last long enough for that to occurr, so make more.

ok, thanks for the response, it deff is quaffable I will say that haha

finally got around to bottling this. uncarbed tasted sort of like a hefe. is this normal?

I would say no its not, but you might be tasting young beer. There should be some evidence of a roast malt flavor. A hefe will not have that taste. I would give this beer time to age, many have really liked this beer. I doubt any would say this tastes like a hefe since its nothing like it at all.

Overall green beer can have weird funky tastes. You might be bottling a bit early based on what you are tasting.

I would say no its not, but you might be tasting young beer. There should be some evidence of a roast malt flavor. A hefe will not have that taste. I would give this beer time to age, many have really liked this beer. I doubt any would say this tastes like a hefe since its nothing like it at all.

Overall green beer can have weird funky tastes. You might be bottling a bit early based on what you are tasting.

it's been in primary since december 16th. ill let you know what i think once it's carbed.

deff let this one sit for 3 weeks plus, its almost 4 weeks for me and its just now peaking. The chocolate is just now comming out. Great beer. Thanks again.

going to brew this tomorrow. quick question:

for the 1 pound of specialty grains used in this recipe i know the standard is to steep the grains for 30 min in 150-155 degree water. how much water do i need to use to do this properly?

going to brew this tomorrow. quick question:

for the 1 pound of specialty grains used in this recipe i know the standard is to steep the grains for 30 min in 150-155 degree water. how much water do i need to use to do this properly?

Use 2.35 gal. I couldn't recall this from memory. I looked in the recipe info. (see post 1)

This is more important for the boil, so the hops will bitter the beer correctly. Volume and concentration are important for hop utilization. This has little to no impact on the steeping since you are not doing any form of mashing. Very little of the fermentables are coming from the steep. Its contributing roast malt flavors.

Measure the water correctly as well as the hops and keep good track of the clock and this will be easy.

Use 2.35 gal. I couldn't recall this from memory. I looked in the recipe info. (see post 1)

This is more important for the boil, so the hops will bitter the beer correctly. Volume and concentration are important for hop utilization. This has little to no impact on the steeping since you are not doing any form of mashing. Very little of the fermentables are coming from the steep. Its contributing roast malt flavors.

Measure the water correctly as well as the hops and keep good track of the clock and this will be easy.

THANKS! I will be brewing today, I will let you know my results.

Just wanted to chime in and thank you for posting this recipe -- this was my fourth batch of beer, and my first not from a kit. I made the extract version, and both my girlfriend and I agree that it's the best yet. I'm already planning another batch, because the current one isn't going to last!

cracked open the 1st tester bottle a little after 2 weeks in bottle and few days in the fridge

a little undercarbed still but very drinkable and very very tastey - really excited to share this one with some friends on St Patricks day and see how much further its come along

thanks again for sharing the recipe

cracked open the 1st tester bottle a little after 2 weeks in bottle and few days in the fridge

a little undercarbed still but very drinkable and very very tastey - really excited to share this one with some friends on St Patricks day and see how much further its come along

thanks again for sharing the recipe

NP - This beer is good enough to have all year round. Its a staple beer.

Back