Noob rig building questions. Suggestions please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtwangler

Reaction score
First off, I know that asking for suggestions, I may get a million but my thinking is the more ideas the better rig I'm going to come up with.

First off, my friend and I have the steel, kegs and another guy who is an expert welder to do something like this...http://www.the-sparkmans.net/Photo Gallery/Brew Stuff/Brew Stand/slides/brew stand in action.jpg

Who has a stand like this??

What style and size of burner should we get?

Most set ups like this show the MLT on top, for a complete gravity system wouldn't it make sense to have the HLT on the top? second tier MLT, and the boil kettle on the bottom? Please advise...

Also, What additional parts do we need? List?

The stand shown is a good starting point for a traditional 3 tier gravity system, HLT on top, MT in middle, BK on the bottom, if you have a welder it should be constructable in a weekend. For burners the 4" high pressure burners are inexpensive and would work well for this application, feed all three with a single regulator and gas manifold. You will need some 1/2" 1/2 and full couplings for the keg conversions, some SS pipe parts and valves, dial thermometers would be nice for HLT and MT, sight gauge for HLT and MT, and some type of cooling system. In Arizona you can build an immersion chiller and use the city water to cool the wort most of the way, then use a pond pump in a picnic cooler with ice and water, and circulate ice water to bring temperature down the rest of the way.

jtwangler,

If you are interested in the 3 tier set-up I would highly recommend taking a look at Brew Tree. There you will find all the info you desire including detailed plans on how to construct and build a system that will work for you. I would also suggest doing some searches on HBT, because IMHO I feel you will find even more than your wildest dreams could concoct!:) Everything from high-end professional fully automated SS 10bbl systems to you basic crock pot, Igloo cooler, off the back of your trailer hitch systems! :) (the best by the way)

But if your heart is set on a three tier system I would deff recommend taking a look at the Brew Tree design.

Have fun searching :D

Nick

PP,

Thanks for suggesting brewtree. Great info with pictures. Should help a ton as we get things in order. Anyone with experience with these have any suggestions? Things to add? things we don't necessarily need? etc...

jtwangler,

If you are interested in the 3 tier set-up I would highly recommend taking a look at Brew Tree. There you will find all the info you desire including detailed plans on how to construct and build a system that will work for you. I would also suggest doing some searches on HBT, because IMHO I feel you will find even more than your wildest dreams could concoct!:) Everything from high-end professional fully automated SS 10bbl systems to you basic crock pot, Igloo cooler, off the back of your trailer hitch systems! :) (the best by the way)

But if your heart is set on a three tier system I would deff recommend taking a look at the Brew Tree design.

Have fun searching :D

Nick

Back