Can You Brew It recipe for Flossmoor Station Pullman Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
All recipes are 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results.

SG 1057 (but Jamil shot for 1067)
FG ?-
SRM 31
29.1 IBUs

WLP013

Start at 68F (for 3 days) and increase to 72F over the course of fermentation (total fermentation was about 5 days).

90m boil

4.5 lbs US 2-row
4.5 lbs maris otter
0.75 lbs brown malt
0.75 lbs simpson's caramalt 37l
1.5 lbs golden naked oats
0.75 lbs honey malt
0.75 lbs munich 10l
0.75 lbs wheat malt
0.75 lbs simpson's chocolate malt
8oz blackstrap molasses @2-3m

0.5oz (14g) northern brewer 9%AA at 75min
0.5oz (14g) northern brewer at 30min
0.5oz (14g)cascade 5.75%AA at 10m
0.5oz (14g) cascade at 0m

Mash at 150F

Jamil said that he brewed on a very windy day, which affected the end of boil volume and SG. However, they still claimed it to be cloned.

Jamil also reported that you could increase the amount of blackstrap molasses to 10-12oz.

I don't know why Jamil used WLP013 on this. You really need Wyeast 1318 London Ale Yeast III. That is the yeast Flossmoor Station uses on this and there is no direct White Labs equivalent. I've brewed my own version of Pullman Brown before with two different before talking to Matt Van Wyk and finding out that they use WY1318. It does make a difference.

I don't know why Jamil used WLP013 on this. You really need Wyeast 1318 London Ale Yeast III. That is the yeast Flossmoor Station uses on this and there is no direct White Labs equivalent. I've brewed my own version of Pullman Brown before with two different before talking to Matt Van Wyk and finding out that they use WY1318. It does make a difference.
EDIT: Just listened to this again over the weekend and Jamil says he DID use WY1318.

I was just at the brewery/brewpub and spoke with the brewmaster for a bit. Turns out they use Golden Promise as their base malt. You'll get something similar with the mixture of 2 row and mo, but it won't be true to form.

Wow, that is one crazy recipe! What does this beer taste like?
Wonderful, full bodied, a bit chocolaty and a bit roasty, but not overpowering in either departments. It's considered a brown porter.

Matt said in the interview that the use a mix of Golden Promise and domestic 2-row.

What is golden naked oats? Is there a substitute I could use? I don't recall those at my LHBS.

Thanks!
TPH

Tinpanharry said:
What is golden naked oats? Is there a substitute I could use? I don't recall those at my LHBS.

Thanks!
TPH

They have a pretty unique flavor. Austin Homebrew and Northern Brewer both have them in stock.

Eric

This recipe is on my to-brew list. I'm in Chicago this weekend and have had no luck getting a bottle of the beer to try but looking into going to the restaurant/pub. A few stores have commented that they had bottle bomb issues with this beer.

Back