Beer Bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papinquack

Reaction score
My wife just bought a beer bread mix and I'm wondering which beer you think would do the recipe right. Before I started home brewing I would have given her a Milwalkees best lite :cross: but times have changed....I have Irish Stout and I have IPA. I figure the stout would be the one to go with but I'm open to hear from those of you who have made this bread before.

Don't use the IPA. I've made homemade beer bread before, and unless you really like hops you are not going to appreciate the flavor in your bread. (Hops good in beer, not in bread). The stout or a low hop pale ale would work great.

Don't use the IPA. I've made homemade beer bread before, and unless you really like hops you are not going to appreciate the flavor in your bread. (Hops good in beer, not in bread). The stout or a low hop pale ale would work great.
Thanks for the reply, Stout it is!

I'm a bit late, but +1 to all of that. Hoppiness doesn't go so well with baked goods, but stout would be great. Let us know how it turns out.

Stout is the way to go.
I've made beer bread a few times using stouts, and once with an amber that turned out pretty good.

hops dont work in bread? how does it taste? i was thinking of making a slightly sweet bread with only a tiny amount of hops, would it be a good spice?

Doesn't beer bread use the yeast in the beer for the bread. I don't think plain old wort would do the trick.

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting that you don't use yeast. Just replace 1/2 - 2/3 of the water with wort and skip any sugar the recipe calls for.

The idea of cooking with hops or anything that contains hops is just nasty to me. When doing so, it should be added right before you serve it and never cook it or reduce it down.

Unless your into bitter food that is.

I've been doing beer bread for a few months now. Darker and malty is the best kind to use. I had been using my Guiness clone, but now I am using Rickard's Dark.

Its really good in German Dark Rye bread, which usualy calls for coffee, but we use beer instead. I have also made an ultra think version (20% more flour) for homemade croutons, and those were even better.

Mmmm, thinking about firing up the bread machine now...:)

I've made about 4 beer breads now, my first was with a black IPA I made and damn it was too hoppy. The rest have been awesome though, here's my basic recipe:

3 cups all purpose flour (whole wheat, rye substitute at your whim)
12 oz beer (sweeter maltier less hoppy is my recommendation, brown ale worked great, as did a czech pilsner)
1 tbs sugar
1 tbs baking powder
1 tsp salt
additions I've done so far with success:
handful of shredded cheese
various spices, I'm partial to this italian seasoning we have, gonna make a pizza probably tonight with this.

mix thoroughly, chunk it in a loaf pan into a preheated oven at 375 for about 45 minutes to an hour (it really depends on the pan/etc).

So far it's a resounding hit and very easy to make, no resting/rising time, none of that fancy stuff, just mix it up, and bake it, let it cool a bit and eat it.

I recently found this recipe which also uses spent grain and am currently letting it rise. I guess I should have looked up a bit before I started because I am using an IPA right now.

http://beeradvocate.com/cookbook/recipe/37

I might have to try your recipe though Grimster. It sounds good. Any suggestions if I also want to incorporate my grains into it?

Back