What's floating in my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezak1gd

Reaction score
I tried to put a picture in here, but not really sure how to. Anyway I brewed my Irish Red 1.5 weeks ago. Now I see weird floaties in my beer. There's 3 of them, and they are about the size of a quarter, kinda spherical. They look like doughballs or dumplings. I really have no idea what this could be. Maybe dead yeast? Maybe actually dough that got through the mash into the pot? About the 3rd day I noticed my roommate had decided to check inside the bucket and left the lid partially open, as well as dropping the top piece of the airlock off so it was a straight tube into the beer. My guess is it was like that for 24-48 hrs. Any ideas?

Definitely dough. Take it out and knead it 3 times.

Roll it out and poke holes in it.

Spread tomato sauce really thin almost to the edges.

Reach into the fermenter and pull out some mozzerella. Sprinkle this over the tomato sauce and bake with some fresh basil.........

OH.....what?

Yeah, it is YEAST!!!!:mug:

Dough???? That is some funny ****e brother!

Yeast do some wierd things.

Did it look at all like this?
PICT0017.jpg

Not really the yeast is all settled out it's just like 3 balls. I guess similar in texture to the picture. The beer smells good so I'm gonna assume it's yeast. Also, the yeast is notty. The beer is done its down to 1.010 from 1.052. Is it gonna settle out in 1.5 weeks? It's been 2 weeks and I was planning on bottling the Haus PA this weekend.

give the fermentor a gentle rocking(repeat, a GENTLE rocking), this may get them to fall out. Sometimes, the "yeast balls" tend to get stuck at the top.

I used to have a dream that I was swimming in a giant sea of fermenting stout. YUMMY!!! but after a while, huge ice bergs of yeast floated up and looked so freakish.

They slowly dissolved back into the void, but left me wondering what else lurked beneath.........

Back