Stuck Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolfyJ

Reaction score
Howdy everyone, I have a quick question about fermentation. I have a room designated just for that and its usualy around 74F. Well a few days ago someone left the light on in the room. And its a closed room and somehow it reached temperatures to like around 82F+ Well i moved the better bottles out and cooled them down but one of my stouts that I had to replace an airlock with a blow off tube because it was foaming so much before. After it heated up and cooled back down the stout isnt foaming as much as it was before. Im trying to figure out if the yeast got injured or died or whichever and I have to re pitch it or? I also have JAOM thats been going for weeks in there as well along with 2 others beers. JAOM seems to be moving along just fine. I was just hoping anyone could share any thoughts or what not. I also have a hard cider that is still bubbling away slowly.

Ps. I know yall get a lot of the threads but again, any help is appruciated. Im still trying to learn >.< and been stalking these forums forever lol.

If you don't have hydrometer readings how would you know you have a stuck fermentation?

74F is warm for most yeasts in itself so not ideal. Unless the beer/cider got to 105F+ then you didn't kill the yeast.

ight il try to cool it down more. Ill take a hydro reading tonight then wait a week or two and take another one.

Without a hydromter reading you have NO CLUE whether or not you have a stuck fermentation.

airlock bubbling, lack of airlock bubbling, stopped airlock bubbling, fast airlock bubbling, slow airlcok bubbling, heavy metal airlcok bubbling, or disco airlock bubbling really is not an indicator of what is happening to your beer, really isn't important, and it is NOT an accurate gauge of fermentation.

If your airlock was bubbling and stopped---It doesn't mean fermentation has stopped.

If you airlock isn't bubbling, it doesn't mean your fermentation hasn't started....

If your airlock starts bubbling, it really doesn't matter.

If your airlock NEVER bubbles, it doesn't mean anything is wrong or right.

Your airlock is not a fermentation gauge, it is a VALVE to release excess co2.

Fermentation is not always "dynamic," just because you don't SEE anything happening, doesn't mean that anything's wrong, and also doesn't mean that the yeast are still not working dilligantly away, doing what they've been doing for over 4,000 years....

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in....

Latest posts

Back