sanitizer amount?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aardvark830

Reaction score
hey, I asked this in another section, but i need an answer asap. I am using C-Brite as a sanitizer and it says to use 2 ounces for 2 1/2 gallons of water. what would that be in volume? I don't have a scale, but i have plenty of measuring spoons. I read that I'm not supposed to rinse afterwards, so I want to make sure my amounts are right. Thanks!

thanks a lot man!

edit: wait, that's fluid ounces... I am trying to get an approximate conversion of the weight of an ounce to a volume...

I believe most people use 1 tablespoon per gallon of warm water for c-brite. You might want to wait for a few more replies first though, I use Iodophor and the concentration is different.

you can't convert weight to volume without knowing density. its that whole trick "what weighs more a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks" thing...

2 oz of c-brite might be 1/4 cup, it might be 1/2 cup. you'll have to wait for someone with a scale to weigh it out and then put it in a volume measurement.

FYI - if you plan to brew much, you need an accurate kitchen scale (hops, grain, priming sugar...these must be weighed, always)

you can't convert weight to volume without knowing density. its that whole trick "what weighs more a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks" thing...

2 oz of c-brite might be 1/4 cup, it might be 1/2 cup. you'll have to wait for someone with a scale to weigh it out and then put it in a volume measurement.

FYI - if you plan to brew much, you need an accurate kitchen scale (hops, grain, priming sugar...these must be weighed, always)

yeah i know, i was hoping someone had weighed it already. I just used fluid ounces, which ended up being 1/4 cup. We figured since it said to mix ounces with gallons, they might have meant fluid ounces. It made more sense that they would use vol/vol than weight/vol.

but yeah, I will need a scale, just haven't needed one yet, I've only brewed with kits so far.

I use star-san, but this might help-

I mix my sanitizer in a cooler. I add about 2 gallons of water, then add capfulls of starsan until I get about the right amount of bubbles to come up when I stir - somewhere between no bubbles and bubble bath. Once you have it mixed properly in a cooler you can use the same sanitizer for several batches. I don't know if that works with C-brite, but if it doesn't it would be a good reason to switch.

yeah, I was planning to get some star-san after my C-brite is gone, only because that seems to be what eveyone uses, and I figure not everyone can be wrong

Oooh,oooh,oooh, I know. It's a pound of bricks, right? :cross:

Back