American Pale Ale Cascades / Orange Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have run into a problem with mine...

I cannot get it on the tap soon enough! I have the Oktoberfest that will not run dry, and it is impeding my ability to get this keg on tap.

Ahoy hoy,
Just threw a 12 pack of CasCitrus into the beer fridge before I left for work. I ran out of Jubelale last night, and thought that was a great reason not to buy anything tonight. It turned out so well with the bitter orange this time, that Im thinking of doing a batch with both bitter and sweet, and seeing what comes of it. Mmmmm just the thought.....
A good day to yas.....

The only alterations I made were the addition of amarillos and I used WLP051. Basically, 50% Cascades and 50% Amarillos. Dropped into the fermentor today!

Ahoy hoy,
Just threw a 12 pack of CasCitrus into the beer fridge before I left for work. I ran out of Jubelale last night, and thought that was a great reason not to buy anything tonight. It turned out so well with the bitter orange this time, that Im thinking of doing a batch with both bitter and sweet, and seeing what comes of it. Mmmmm just the thought.....
A good day to yas.....

You guys get Juble up there? Awesome! Glad to hear that Deschutes is spreading further and further out there.

I'm out of this beer right now so you're making me jealous...

You guys get Juble up there? Awesome! Glad to hear that Deschutes is spreading further and further out there.

I just wish I could get some Black Butte XX down here :(

I am thinking of doing a Black Butte Clone soon, but dumping it on some raspberries in the secondary, but I had a Fullers London porter and reminded me how good those are. Anyways, there are just too many beers out there, but that is a good thing.

The XX is very, very nice, but you can't drink too much of it. It's a sipper. They'll only give you a short glass at the brewery here in PDX.

Do you have a good Black Butte clone? PM me with it!

I am going to try this one this weekend...My LHBS didn't have everything so I had to sub 2-row Pale for the Maris. Anyone know how this will change the outcome? Also the Cascade Hops they had was 8.4%, do you have any suggestions on how I should change things taking this into account?

Thanks
Looking forward to this one!!

I am going to try this one this weekend...My LHBS didn't have everything so I had to sub 2-row Pale for the Maris. Anyone know how this will change the outcome? Also the Cascade Hops they had was 8.4%, do you have any suggestions on how I should change things taking this into account?

Thanks
Looking forward to this one!!

I couldn't get Maris Otter at the time I did this brew and used Rahr 2-row, it is still a great beer.

As far as the hops, if you want to stick with the same IBUs I wouldn't definately change your bittering hop amount for the FWH addition. You can use John Palmers calculations to figure out how much you need. How to Brew - By John Palmer - Hop Bittering Calculations

The recipe calls for 1oz of 5.5% at the beggining

This would be 1 x 5.5 or 5.5 AAUs

So if you have 8.4%, you would only need .65oz to get the same bittering amount for the 1st addition.

The other additions are late in the boil and for aroma and don't impart too much bittering, but you could lower those a little too if you wanted.

Sounds great! Thanks for the replay and thanks for the great info.:mug:
I couldn't get Maris Otter at the time I did this brew and used Rahr 2-row, it is still a great beer.

As far as the hops, if you want to stick with the same IBUs I wouldn't definately change your bittering hop amount for the FWH addition. You can use John Palmers calculations to figure out how much you need. How to Brew - By John Palmer - Hop Bittering Calculations

The recipe calls for 1oz of 5.5% at the beggining

This would be 1 x 5.5 or 5.5 AAUs

So if you have 8.4%, you would only need .65oz to get the same bittering amount for the 1st addition.

The other additions are late in the boil and for aroma and don't impart too much bittering, but you could lower those a little too if you wanted.

Anyone know if this could be converted to Partial Mash? I'm not an All-Grainer yet and reading this thread got my mouth watering. I have an "Winter" IPA about to go to secondary and would LOVE for this to be my next brew. Thanks.

i brewed this as a partial mash and thought it came out awesome. I don't have beersmith infront of me right now but i think this is what i used

3lbs maris otter
1lb vienna
1lb crystal 10
3 lbs extra light DME

I just kicked the 5g keg of the citrus pale ale I do as mentioned earlier in the thread, but I used the seasonal 'Farmhouse' strain that wyeast released this summer. It went real quick (damn roommates :)), the orange with the spiciness from the yeast and classic belgian ester profile was pretty amazing. I bottled the other half and will let it age a little longer, I definitely drank the keg a little green since it came out to about 7%ABV.

i brewed this as a partial mash and thought it came out awesome. I don't have beersmith infront of me right now but i think this is what i used

3lbs maris otter
1lb vienna
1lb crystal 10
3 lbs extra light DME

When you get a chance to check beersmith think you could post the complete recipe? Thanks!

I just ordered the ingredients and plugged this into beersmith. I forgot to order the 2oz of Cascades for the dry hopping. How much of an issue will this be?

Recipe: OrangePaleAle
Brewer: Tim Roberts
Asst Brewer:
Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 7.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 32.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
3 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
4 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (1 min)
1.00 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 min)
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)
2.00 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 10.0 min)
2 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04)

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 6.00 lb
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
55 min Step Add 7.50 qt of water at 164.8 F 153.0 F

How does that look?? If need be I can order the cascades for the dry hopping, but am nosey to hear how you think it'll turn out without dry hopping. :D

On tap now... so clear, so tasty!! Perfect way to celebrate the completion of my ALL ELECTRIC HERMS!!!!!

On tap now... so clear, so tasty!! Perfect way to celebrate the completion of my ALL ELECTRIC HERMS!!!!!

Congrats! Whatta ya think of the Partial Mash recipe of this I posted before you?? That's the first recipe I've put together so let me know.

I am totally clueless about extract or partial mash brewing...

I just ordered the ingredients and plugged this into beersmith. I forgot to order the 2oz of Cascades for the dry hopping. How much of an issue will this be?

Recipe: OrangePaleAle
Brewer: Tim Roberts
Asst Brewer:
Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 7.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 32.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
3 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
4 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (1 min)
1.00 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 min)
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)
2.00 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 10.0 min)
2 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04)

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 6.00 lb
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
55 min Step Add 7.50 qt of water at 164.8 F 153.0 F

How does that look?? If need be I can order the cascades for the dry hopping, but am nosey to hear how you think it'll turn out without dry hopping. :D

Looks exactly like the one i brewed. You will be very pleased with the results.

The dry hop provides that hop 'nose' which you smell/taste in many hoppy microbrewed beers. If you skip that step it won't ruin the final brew, it just won't have that characteristic. Dry hopping is like the cherry on top.

So I brewed this up today. Missed the SG by .1. Was supposed to be 1.06 and i got a corrected 1.05. I definitely had too much water. Beersmith configured ~2 gallons for the mash and 5.5 gallons for the sparge. I don't know why i didn't do the math and think, hey I only have a 7.5galon pot. Due to this I couldn't get too strong of a boil going or else it would spill out everywhere. I only ended up with about 5.5 gallons of wort after filtering everything (hops, orange, coriander) out. The sample tasted a little weak, but like beer so we'll see how it goes. Anyone recommend me doing anything else to possibly bump the gravity??

Dang... send it to me... I will take care of it for ya.

Ha! I think i'll ride it out. It shouldn't bee too bad, just not as strong. I just hope it doesn't taste watered down. Anything I can add to it to help or should I just let it roll and see what happens?

Ha! I think i'll ride it out. It shouldn't bee too bad, just not as strong. I just hope it doesn't taste watered down. Anything I can add to it to help or should I just let it roll and see what happens?

At this point it pretty much is what it is. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I am brewing this AGAIN, but I am using 1.5lbs of 40L instead of the 10L.

I am also mashing at 2qt/lb doing a mash efficiency experiment. Also making a video of the brew.

Cool. What do you think about mashing a bit higher, say 155, to take advantage of that 40L? Make it a little maltier?

The recipe already calls for the 155F mash... so that is what I intend to do.

Well, I am sad today because the keg of Cascade/Orange Pale Ale was killed yesterday, but I tried my best to drink what I could before people came over for the superbowl. I know, I am selfish, they had to resort to drinking my other beer after this keg dried up.

I have my video up from my brew day of this beer last week... it was smooth as butta!

Just brewed this one last night. Fermentation was going crazy when I got up this morning. Now my kitchen (where the beer is fermenting) smells like orange zest, which is very nice. I hope I'm not losing any aroma or flavor out of the air lock.

I scraped 2 oranges for the zest. Also I didn't have coriander seeds so I used powder. I got some advice from a chef friend of mine. He said to use 2 teaspoons of coriander powder and toast it in a pan first. That will make the taste quality almost the same as the crushed coriander. You want to keep the color of the power about the same so dont toast to long.

How many oranges will it take to get 2oz's of zest?

I had so many curve balls during brewing that I didn't weigh the orange zest. Its going to be interesting to see how it will taste.

I found out my wort chiller had a massive crack and leak as the grains were mashing. It froze with water still in it. Lucky me I know how to solder. But I didn't have the right peices and had to Micky Mouse it "just like the first time I fixed it". I barely got it repaired in time to cool down the wort.

Kegged mine today, the aroma & taste is very nice. Can't wait to drink it carbed and cold!
Beer_OrangeCascade_2009.jpg

It's 8am and I'm sick as a dog, but that warm, flat beer looks pretty good! Be sure and give us a shot of the final product as well.

Back