New to kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigskooter

Reaction score
Ok so I just received my new keg setup purchased from morebeer. I have a citra ale that has been dry hopped for 10 days. I am currently on the hunt for a new kegerator or fridge that I can convert. Can I keg my citra and just let it sit at room temp like I used to do with bottles or should I wait and keg it when I have a way of refrigerating the keg

bigskooter said:
Ok so I just received my new keg setup purchased from morebeer. I have a citra ale that has been dry hopped for 10 days. I am currently on the hunt for a new kegerator or fridge that I can convert. Can I keg my citra and just let it sit at room temp like I used to do with bottles or should I wait and keg it when I have a way of refrigerating the keg

Are you planning on force or natural carbing? Force carbing should be done with refrigeration while natural carbing will be able to be done at room temp.

bennie1986 said:
Are you planning on force or natural carbing? Force carbing should be done with refrigeration while natural carbing will be able to be done at room temp.

By natural carbing you mean using priming sugar

bennie1986 said:

I was planning on force carbing by putting about 12 lbs in and letting it sit at room temp. If I prime it with sugar naturally how much c02 would I want to put in if the keg will be sitting at room temp

bigskooter said:
I was planning on force carbing by putting about 12 lbs in and letting it sit at room temp. If I prime it with sugar naturally how much c02 would I want to put in if the keg will be sitting at room temp

You won't get a your desired carbonation level force carbing at room temp. There are calculators out there that will help you determine where to set your regulator at a certain degree.

If you natural carb I would set the lid by hitting it with 20-30 psi then disconnect the co2 an turn down to 12. Purge the 20-30 psi to remove the oxygen from the head space and connect the gas again and purge the head space by pulling the relief valve a few times for a few seconds then take the gas off and let it prime for a few weeks. All this of course after adding the priming sugar.

I have not yet tried the natural carbing in a keg but have been planning on trying it because my keg fridge recently has been used as a fermentation chamber.

What's the psi rating on a corny keg? I was nervous about setting it at or above 30psi for extended periods of time. Not to mention it would take more gas.

bennie1986 said:
What's the psi rating on a corny keg? I was nervous about setting it at or above 30psi for extended periods of time. Not to mention it would take more gas.

30 psi scared the heck out of me the first time, but it'll hold. Look on the side of the keg - it probably says "Do not exceed 180 psi" or some huge, way-beyond homebrewers' needs on there.

Just make sure it's sealed around the lid and the posts - otherwise that pressure will leak out fast.

Bigskooter, please forgive me as I was incorrect with some of my information. That being said I would still prefer to only force carb under refrigeration because I'm assuming it uses less gas because its less psi.

the relief on your regulator is likely 50-60PSI and will go off before that pressure reaches the keg. plus there is a relief on the keg. both those safeties would need to be faulty.

JDGator said:
the relief on your regulator is likely 50-60PSI and will go off before that pressure reaches the keg. plus there is a relief on the keg. both those safeties would need to be faulty.

Good point I had not thought of that!

Folks, it does not matter if you carbonate a keg to (for example) 2.5 volumes at 40 degrees or 80 degrees, the amount of CO2 in the beer is the exact same...

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
Folks, it does not matter if you carbonate a keg to (for example) 2.5 volumes at 40 degrees or 80 degrees, the amount of CO2 in the beer is the exact same...

Cheers!

I'm confused, why then are there carb tables with temps vs carb levels vs psi?

bennie1986 said:
I'm confused, why then are there carb tables with temps vs carb levels vs psi?

Because pressure will vary with temperature for the same amount of co2. Same reason an aerosol can will explode in a campfire...if the amount of gas is constant, pressure varies.

When I setup regulator to 12psi and put it in the fridge it stays at 12psi so I don't get it.

day_trippr said:

Cheers!

But it still requires a higher psi correct?

When I setup regulator to 12psi and put it in the fridge it stays at 12psi so I don't get it.
The regulator only gives you a pressure...it takes more gas to develop the same pressure at lower temperatures.

The gas expands at higher temperatures causing more pressure...but it is still the same amount of gas.

wilserbrewer said:
The regulator only gives you a pressure...it takes more gas to develop the same pressure at lower temperatures.

The gas expands at higher temperatures causing more pressure...but it is still the same amount of gas.

Thank you, I got it!

Back