Northern Brewer bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
I guess they are not air tight.....

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

My ale pail lid clamps down tight,but it doesn't have a seal in it. I get those dirty rings too.

So it's not just me...

My bucket was pretty bad. I had beer spewing from the lid everywhere. I called NB and they said they would send me a new bucket and lid :rockin: I have one from MWS that I have no problems with.

Mine never spewed,but it'd leak onto the rings under high krausen during initial fermentation. The BB ale pails def nead a seal in the lid. I think NB's pails come from the same manufacturer.

last few batches I didn't even bother to snap the lid onto the bucket; just let is rest on top. It got snapped on right before cold crash.

Whats the big deal about a seal?

last few batches I didn't even bother to snap the lid onto the bucket; just let is rest on top. It got snapped on right before cold crash.

Yeah, I don't use buckets as frequently anymore but I never put the lid on all the way because I can't get them back off without making a mess. But then again, I am a weakling girly-girl. :)

If nasties can get out then nasties can get in IMO. I had beer literally spewing from the lid onto the wall in my closet. NB was great and sent a replacement, they have great customer service.

Those openers are available at HD type stores and go by the secret name of "paint bucket opener" and are cheaper. They work quite well.

I have also read that the bucket does not have to be snapped on/sealed and no nasties will get in due to the co2 being off gassed by the wort. Just my 2 cents.

Sheldon

But after initial fermentation is done,the opposite can occure. Snap the lid down & get a bucket opener. Less to worry about then...

Those openers are available at HD type stores and go by the secret name of "paint bucket opener" and are cheaper. They work quite well.

I have also read that the bucket does not have to be snapped on/sealed and no nasties will get in due to the co2 being off gassed by the wort. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, I got one from HD too and I still can't seem to make it work without sloshing the beer all over. I agree I think the Co2 pushing stuff out helps and as long a the lid is there to keep airborne stuff out it seems to be fine. At least I've never had a problem with 2-3wk primaries. Have you ever seen Anchor's open fermentation rooms? They pump in positive pressure to keep airborne contaminants out but otherwise wide open with folks walking around in there.

Have you ever seen Anchor's open fermentation rooms? They pump in positive pressure to keep airborne contaminants out but otherwise wide open.

I was thinking of this as well. I think there is a common misconception that comes with calling microbes "bugs" that they have an ability to crawl into fermenters to infect beer on their own. More accurately, they are floating in the air and settle on/in suitable substrates in which to grow.

I guess there is a chance they could be sucked into a fermenter when a temp change occurs, which is why I snug the lid down before crash-cooling.

Based on how often I work over open fermenters without infecting, I think the whole "death from above" scenario is overblown. It is much more commonplace to infect beer when it comes into contact with a unsanitized or dirty surface/piece of equipment.

My 0.02

I guess there is a chance they could be sucked into a fermenter when a temp change occurs, which is why I snug the lid down before crash-cooling.

This makes sense and is probably wise. I don't cold crash in buckets but rather in the keg - mainly for space issues.

[N="Sheldon;5354331"]Those openers
W
llllare available at HD type stores and go by the secret name of "paint bucket opener" and are cheaper. They work quite well.

Sheldon[/QUOTE]

It keeps beer from going places you don't want it to go. OP would probably rather have beer blow off into a container, not onto the floor.

That's really odd that they leak. You could probably go to a grocery store and get some used ones for free that definitely won't leak. Just poke a hole, and insert air lock

That's really odd that they leak. You could probably go to a grocery store and get some used ones for free that definitely won't leak. Just poke a hole, and insert air lock

I get my free buckets from a local specialty soap shop. They make the soap on premises and get a lot of their oils in 7.5 gal pails. They are food grade, have lids with a gasket, and come with a popup pour spout that accepts a universal stopper perfectly (so no drilling).

Plenty of headspace for 6 gal batches.

2011-12-13 00.20.49.jpg

Mine had a provision for an airlock/grommet. but no seal,so the extra pressure from an initial fermentation with some gusto seems to raise the lid a little & it leaks a small amount.

I just put a batch of American Wheat Ale into a NB bucket fermenter. So far no problems, but it has only been a day and a half. Is it based on the type of beer being fermented as to wether or not it will blow off really bad?

Back