First brew, forgot to sanitize a measuring cup used to top off fermentor with water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevepfisterer

Reaction score
Hey everyone. What a great resource this is. I've lurked for a long time and completed my first brew today (Northern Brewer Caribou Slobber)

Everything went well, until I realized while cleaning up, that I forgot to sanitize a large glass measuring cup that I grabbed from my cabinet, and used to top off the fermenting bucket with water.

I didn't expect my first brew to go completely perfect, but here is my obligatory newbie "How screwed am I?" post.

That's nothing. I forgot to sanitize my primary before I racked into it brew before last. Too many home brews. I have no idea how it will turn out but I can't fix it so I'm just not going to worry about it. If it sucks, it gives me an excuse to buy another keg so this one can condition any off-flavors out. If they don't come out I'll worry about it in 6-8 months.

You'll probably be just fine, but either way, nothing you can do now, so rdwhahb.

I forgot to sanitize my spoon for mixing in my dry yeast many moons ago. It was fine. Unless you were measuring baby poop in that glassware, you should be fine, but good luck.

Wouldn't even worry about it. Chance something will spoil, but I bet you are totally cool. I have done so much stupid stuff over the years, this is the type of thing I do regularly by accident.
I wouldn't make a habit of it, but doubt you have a problem.
Was it cleaned in a dishwasher with a high temp dry or anything? Probably sanitary enough from that if it was.

RDWHACB... More then likely you are fine, but given your options now, let it ferment, and if it tastes good, then you are good to go. If it tastes sour or undrinkable, then lesson learned. But congrats on getting your first brew under your belt.

We obsess way too much over being sanitary.

The reason we sanitize everything is to ensure the yeast get going and start producing alcohol before any spoiling bacteria can build up it's population large enough that it affects the flavor. With the exception of a few alcohol resistant bacteria, you could probably get away with just giving everything a decent clean.

Glass doesn't scratch (in a way to harbor bacteria), so cleans up well. You will not have a problem with it.

Thanks for the vote of confidence everyone. I probably will end up obsessing over it for the next 6 weeks, but will also look forward to the next brew more. Besides, the finished product of this brew has to taste better than the unfermented wort sample I took the OG from :)

Latest posts

Back