Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CGVT said:
Ha! I would like to see a show of hands of all of those that have never popped a hop pellet into their mouths to see what it tasted like.

I'll admit that I have done it. Once.

Guilty as charged. Didn't really think it was that bad. Of course, eating a handful might be overwhelming.

not a whole pellet, but I definitely break off and taste a little chunk of every type of hop I put into every batch

Ha! I would like to see a show of hands of all of those that have never popped a hop pellet into their mouths to see what it tasted like.

TBH, I do it for every different variety of hop I buy.

Nope, not me. I'll good with smelling them and drinking what they bring to the party. I've never tried eating a pellet and, honestly, I've never wanted to.

CGVT said:

I'm not a big fan of raw hops, but i have squeezed a dry hop bag into a glass and drank that....not as good as one would expect.

One thing I love to taste is grain. I'll chomp a sample of each that's in my grain bill, then I'll grab a spoonful after the mash. Tasty stuff!

Not something I've heard, but something I've seen. Last weekend I was in Santa Rosa to visit Lagunitas, Bear Republic, and Russian River for the Pliny the younger release. The line to get into Russian River reached 6-8 hours at some points; however, I timed it right and only waited 1.5 hours to get in. Anyway, upon arrival into the brewpub, I find many people enjoying fine crafted Russian River brews, many of which were the 2013 offering of Pliny the Younger...except one guy sitting at the end of the bar. He was enjoying a Coors Light.

Not something I've heard, but something I've seen. Last weekend I was in Santa Rosa to visit Lagunitas, Bear Republic, and Russian River for the Pliny the younger release. The line to get into Russian River reached 6-8 hours at some points; however, I timed it right and only waited 1.5 hours to get in. Anyway, upon arrival into the brewpub, I find many people enjoying fine crafted Russian River brews, many of which were the 2013 offering of Pliny the Younger...except one guy sitting at the end of the bar. He was enjoying a Coors Light.

You know what they say, "True good can only be fully appreciated when one has experience true suffering." Maybe he was just setting the stage.

Every time I brew.

Giving them to your kids, though... that's just plain fun!

A friend at work when I told him I brewed a Dark Irish Stout.

"Oh yea I like those dark beers, like Heineken and ****"

...?

Last night, I went out to a local pint night, which is a great place for beer. However, the new girl, a young dumb waitress tried to wipe off the small amount of foam, off the top. I saw her going for it and asked what the heck she was doing. she replied "Eww, you like that stuff?"
I said "Yes, it helps bring out the aroma." She walked away still confused that I wanted the head on my beer...

Have you ever had a beer in Amsterdam? They scrape the foam off at all the bar....like this (the beer pour starts at 2:40ish):

But then I've never really thought their beer was worth drinking much less getting hung up on how it is poured.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you ever had a beer in Amsterdam? They scrape the foam off at all the bar....like this
But then I've never really thought their beer was worth drinking much less getting hung up on how it is poured.

She was trying to help, but you just don't scrape the little amount of foam off of a double Ipa (Avery Maharaja), maybe a wheat beer or similarly carbed beer. It was perfect the way she brought it, so I told her to leave it and she said "Eww, you like the foam", now that's funny to me.

BBahahahaha made my day.

Don't underestimate the importance of how the beer is poured!! I have a bookmark at home from one of Pilsner Urquell's website about how to pour a proper glass of beer, including discussion of dry foam vs wet foam, and then removing the dry foam at the end of the pour - differently then in the Heinekin video, but done for the same reason. There is scientific research done on dry vs wet foam in beer, and the characteristics of each!

Note that in the Heinie video, there is still a decent head on the beer, and most of Europe (except the Brits and Irish) insist on a nice head on their beer

Don't underestimate the importance of how the beer is poured!! I have a bookmark at home from one of Pilsner Urquell's website about how to pour a proper glass of beer, including discussion of dry foam vs wet foam, and then removing the dry foam at the end of the pour...

Request to post the link when you get home

bleme said:
:eek:t: My FIL used to tell stories about his dad giving him and his sibling rabbit pellets and telling them they were 'smart pills' :D

I know a guy that offered his siblings the same "smart pills". After they ate one, he offered them another, which they declined. He told them, "See you're smarter already!"

Good, would be a tragedy to waste a great beer on someone who wouldn't appreciate it fully.

My mom insists on putting oranges in everything I let her drink. Hefes are sort of acceptable, I guess, but I draw the line at my ESB, Optic/Ahtanum SMaSH, cream ale, kolsch, or pale ale. If it is clear and light enough to see through, she plops an orange in it. Thanks, Ma. Haven't seen her do it with an IPA yet, but I'm sure I will.

Hate to quote my own post, but she did it tonight. I come walking into the room and she has two orange wedges sunk in my IPA. I honestly don't understand...

Originally Posted by vinnythering
My mom insists on putting oranges in everything I let her drink. Hefes are sort of acceptable, I guess, but I draw the line at my ESB, Optic/Ahtanum SMaSH, cream ale, kolsch, or pale ale. If it is clear and light enough to see through, she plops an orange in it. Thanks, Ma. Haven't seen her do it with an IPA yet, but I'm sure I will.

Hate to quote my own post, but she did it tonight. I come walking into the room and she has two orange wedges sunk in my IPA. I honestly don't understand...

Was it hopped with Cascade? She might be onto something:fro:

Kind of a funny exchange between friends at the bar of a German restaurant 5 minutes ago:

Friend 1 to server: do you serve fran....frankis.....frankensteiner with a slice of lemon?

Server: we have Franziskaner....wr could add a slice of lemon if you'd like.

Friend 1: Yep, thats the right way to do it. I'll take one.

Friend 2: I'll take any light beer in a bottle.

Friend 1: bottle? Ohhhhh, you dont drink beer out of bottles. Tap beer is way better. Tell em....tell em tap beer is superior.

Friend 2: i been drinkin bottled becks light for 12 years. Ain't gonna change me now.

Friend 1: ahh...fuggetaboudit. You don't know GOTS about beer. I gotta find a new drinking partner.

I was taking the tour at Red Hook Brewery. In the tasting room, they had a pitcher of grains and a pitcher of hop pellets. The pitchers were passed around so that we could smell the ingredients.

That's really funny. When I was in there, I thought it was odd that they encouraged us to taste the barley malt but didn't say anything about tasting the hops. So my friend and I each grabbed a little pellet and bit a little off....

I then understood.

But it was just a tiny nibble, so it only took 5 minutes to get my taste buds back. Can't imagine the impact of more than that.

Back in the day, I've been known to cram a lime wedge into a Corona.

Then again, I might till do that if Corona was my only beverage option...

homebrewdad said:
Back in the day, I've been known to cram a lime wedge into a Corona.

Then again, I might till do that if Corona was my only beverage option...

I think if corona is the only option then it's perfectly fine to shove a lime wedge in the bottle.

dkwolf said:
Or just suck the juice out of the lime and throw the Corona away.

That sounds like the best plan!
Although I have some pretty good memories of multiple vacations sitting on the beach in Mexico doing nothing but eating chicharones and nachos while drinking corona with lime. Ah, those were the days, before marriage and a child and discovering craft beer. ;)

I was buying a 12 pack of stella at cvs, where they don't have any sort of selection really, and as i was walking out some guy came up to me and said "you know that's a bud beer, right?" I said "yes, it is a decent beer" and gave him a big smile. he was non-plussed. I followed up by pointing to the Carls Jr. across the street and said "I also eat there on occasion."

Hey now, Corona with lime is a perfectly acceptable choice when water's just a little too heavy. :p

Quote:

pjj2ba said:
Don't underestimate the importance of how the beer is poured!! I have a bookmark at home from one of Pilsner Urquell's website about how to pour a proper glass of beer, including discussion of dry foam vs wet foam, and then removing the dry foam at the end of the pour...

Request to post the link when you get homeRequest to post the link when you get home

They unfortunately they have updated their website and my old link is dead :(. Perhaps the Czech language version still has all of the details. They did have a little bit still and still mention dry and wet foam here:

http://www.prazdroj.cz/en/beer/for-beer-drinkers/about-beer

Last year at the PU competition, they had fresh PU on tap, but it didn't seem quite as nice as it had at the Czech restaurant where the contest was held the year before. Later in the evening I watched the PU brewmaster showing the bartender how to properly pour the beer. I think he noticed a difference, and it was in how the beer was poured so he was showing the man how to do it right. Unfortunately I had had enough beer by then so didn't get to compare.

next time in DC, try the Bier Baron, formerly the Brickskeller, Guinness World Record holder as "the bar with the largest selection of commercially available beers."

here's a list of what they have available

Thats's a little strange. The selection listed is impressive but that it should be listed as "worlds largest selection" isn't right.
http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp?PlaceID=19569

This, I think, is regarded as the most impressive in regards two selection:
http://www.ratebeer.com/p/delirium-cafe-brussels/1582/

EDIT: Nevermind, I should have checked to see if someone else spotted this before making a reply :)

That's really funny. When I was in there, I thought it was odd that they encouraged us to taste the barley malt but didn't say anything about tasting the hops. So my friend and I each grabbed a little pellet and bit a little off....

I then understood.

But it was just a tiny nibble, so it only took 5 minutes to get my taste buds back. Can't imagine the impact of more than that.

I often taste hops, especially when I plan on using one variety and find it's not available at my local HBS. I have a double IPA in secondary right now. I planned on using Columbus to bitter, but had to change to Willamette. I tasted the replacement, and adjusted accordingly.

I've done it multiple times, I'm quite fond of it actually...

Back