Cutting 5 gal batch in half?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sordfish28

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am going out this weekend to purchase my first homebrew kit. As my space is limited and I am interested in trying to brew several different styles, I would prefer not to brew 5 gallon batches.
To make a 2.5 gallon batch, is it as easy as cutting a recipe in half (I would be using 3 gal carboys for primary and secondary)?

Thanks!

It works that way. I've done several all grain batches that way too due to limited space. the only real drawback over doing a 5 gallon batch is you run out way too soon but you can always brew more half size batches.

I've done a few 5 gallon batches that I wish I had done as half that size too because they turned out worse than I had hoped for and now I have 50 bottles of it to drink.

That's definitely possible. Just cut all your numbers in half, and you'll get close. The hops will not work out exactly right, as their effectiveness is based on the volume of water you boil them in. If it is your first brew, there's no way you'll know the difference, as the effects are not very pronounced. In the future, if you want to get it closer, you can adjust the amounts of hops in a brewing software (BrewTarget, BeerCalculus, etc.) for your specific boil volume to get the kind of bitterness you're looking for. Good luck, and enjoy the obsession.

To make your turnover quicker, you can use both carboys as primary fermenters and skip the secondary unless you are adding fruit or something. You might need a blowoff tube instead of an airlock because sometimes the ferment gets really vigorous and blows krausen out the airlock. If it plugs, the airlock will eventually be ejected and krausen will go all over.

Thanks for the responses! If I am starting out with extract batches, obviously I can't order 1/2 sized kits. If I use half the amount of liquid malt extract, how well will the rest of it keep, or would I be better off using dry extract and putting the remainder in the freezer?

The LME most likely will come in a resealable container and you can just refrigerate it. I won't quote/comment on how long you can/should refrigerate it though.

sorry to bump an old thread. me and my dad are taking the plunge and ordering our first homebrew setup for xmas, very exciting! i also am thinking about doing 1/2 batches as we want to do maybe three different beers for our first party. i also do not care about small flavor fluctuations. just to clarify, other then halving the ingredients do you also halve the water (would imagine it would be, but don't want to screw anything up my first time out)? and should you adjust your cooking and fermenting times any or just stick to the original recommendations? thanx a bunch in advance!

The cooking time and fermenting times remain the same but you may not want to cut the water in half as it usually boils off the same amount in the hour long boil regardless of the amount in the pot. If you do boil off too much you can add some water back to get the correct amount into the fermenter.

The LME most likely will come in a resealable container and you can just refrigerate it. I won't quote/comment on how long you can/should refrigerate it though.

If you get your LME at a LHBS that sells it in bulk, you can ask them to split it up into smaller amounts for your batch size. 3 pounds will about fill a small (pint) container.

You can always make up small shortages using DME. I think it's a good idea to have a few pounds of DME around anyway (it keeps fine in a sealed container) in case you need it.

One thing I have heard but haven't tried yet is to gently pour some vodka over the remainder of the LME to form a thin layer. That will keep any microscopic creepy crawlies that may have landed on your open container from messing up your LME while stored.

i also am thinking about doing 1/2 batches as we want to do maybe three different beers for our first party.

I hope that you're scheduling your party for about 8 weeks after your brew day.:tank:

Nobody has commented on splitting the yeast. I'd lean toward using a dry packet (without rehydrating) or a smack pack (without a starter) for each half size batch. Any other opinions?

Nobody has commented on splitting the yeast. I'd lean toward using a dry packet (without rehydrating) or a smack pack (without a starter) for each half size batch. Any other opinions?

It depends on your target OG and yeast selection. Run it through MrMalty MrMa to be sure. You should be fine rehydrating 1/2 of an 11 gram dry pack for a 2.5 gallon batch below 1.050 OG. You can save the other half (taped and in the fridge) for the next 2.5 gallon batch.

My next planned batch will be a 2.3 gallon extract brew with an expected OG of 1.059. Since I'll be fermenting with Nottingham at a cool 55F, I'll pitch the whole 11g pack.

It depends on your target OG and yeast selection. Run it through MrMalty MrMa to be sure. You should be fine rehydrating 1/2 of an 11 gram dry pack for a 2.5 gallon batch below 1.050 OG. You can save the other half (taped and in the fridge) for the next 2.5 gallon batch.

My next planned batch will be a 2.3 gallon extract brew with an expected OG of 1.059. Since I'll be fermenting with Nottingham at a cool 55F, I'll pitch the whole 11g pack.

Are ya'll fermenting half batches in a full size bucket/carboy? Is too much headspace a concern or is that mostly for the secondary?

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

TexanRudeboy said:
Are ya'll fermenting half batches in a full size bucket/carboy? Is too much headspace a concern or is that mostly for the secondary?

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Mostly for secondary. Fermentation produces enough CO2 to protect the wort from oxygen.

It depends on your target OG and yeast selection. Run it through MrMalty MrMa to be sure. You should be fine rehydrating 1/2 of an 11 gram dry pack for a 2.5 gallon batch below 1.050 OG. You can save the other half (taped and in the fridge) for the next 2.5 gallon batch.FONT]

Technically, I agree. But I'm a little paranoid about sanitation. I don't think I would trust the other half taped and stored in the fridge - including how to sanitize an open packet before using the other half. And weighing out half seems risky as far as sanitation. I would rather "waste" half of a packet than risk a batch of beer.

I would rather "waste" half of a packet than risk a batch of beer.

Understood and I share those concerns. I did go ahead and use a whole 11g pack of Nottingham (rehydrated) on that batch I brewed last night. It ended up a hair over 2.5 gallons and had a measured OG of 1.050, but it is being kept at 55F which will certainly slow the whole thing down.

Right now, it looks like it's just now getting started. I don't plan on checking the FG for 3 weeks due to the lower temp.

Understood and I share those concerns. I did go ahead and use a whole 11g pack of Nottingham (rehydrated) on that batch I brewed last night. It ended up a hair over 2.5 gallons and had a measured OG of 1.050, but it is being kept at 55F which will certainly slow the whole thing down. QUOTE]

Nottingham is advertized as producing a lager flavor when fermented at lower temperature. Have you found this to be true?

Nottingham is advertized as producing a lager flavor when fermented at lower temperature. Have you found this to be true?

I guess I'll find out with this batch. It's my first go with Notty and I was advised by those who have done it to use the lower temp since I can simply set it with my controller.

BTW, what are good techniques for measuring and managing LME? It's a messy business even if using the whole container (bags in my case). I have a scale, but every transfer loses a bunch when stuck on containers and such. Would heating it in a water bath first help?

I hate LME for that reason. Maybe tare a scale with a ceramic bowl on it, add LME to the bowl until you get the correct weight, and put the entire bowl into your boil. Alternatively, you could use boil water to rinse out the bowl.

I hate LME for that reason. Maybe tare a scale with a ceramic bowl on it, add LME to the bowl until you get the correct weight, and put the entire bowl into your boil. Alternatively, you could use boil water to rinse out the bowl.

As far as mixing goes, I assume it's like putting any heavier substance into a lighter one: mix it in smallish amounts gradually adding water and then into the pot. No lumps that way.

No matter what I end up with big globs of LME in the kettle. They eventually get smaller and smaller and then disappear. I've never had an issue with them not disappearing, though.

Also, if you didn't already know, make sure to turn off the heat when you add LME. You don't want it to scorch on the bottom.

BTW, what are good techniques for measuring and managing LME? It's a messy business even if using the whole container (bags in my case). I have a scale, but every transfer loses a bunch when stuck on containers and such. Would heating it in a water bath first help?

When emptying a pouch, I roll it up from one corner in folds - maybe 3/4" each. Squeeze out each fold. When finished, it looks like very little left. I also tried pouring some of the hot wort back in and sloshing it back and forth in the pouch. Wasn't as happy with that method, but it might be worth a try.

Latest posts

Back