Fermentation in plastic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clayof2day

Reaction score
Hey all,

It seems as though a lot of the more experienced brewers on the forum ferment only in glass. I have a glass carboy for a secondary, but am still fermenting in the plastic bucket that came with my starter kit. I know its not 100% impermeable to air, but since the beer is only spending 7-10 days there before heading to glass for 14 or more days, is it really an issue? I'm young, and poor, and there are some things about the bucket that are really nice.

Are there any large disadvantages to this? Discuss...

Not an issue at all. You can also secondary ferment in plastic if you want. Glass is good because of cleanliness, no permeability, and you can see what is going on! On the downside, it is easier to break. Plastic is perfectly fine for the homebrewer. The only issue is to be careful not to scratch it when cleaning (use a soft cloth or sponge only).

The number one rule of home brewing - well, maybe not number one, but right up there - is "go with what works." If you are happy with what comes out of the brew tank, don't worry about what it is made of.

<--not what you would call an old pro - only at this a year, maybe ten batches, but all brewed in plastic and all delicious. Two weeks in the brew tank each time, then right to bottles.

I use all glass. It's cool to watch the primary in action. I also think it's easier to clean than the bucket. Some might ? why I think this since you can't get in em, but I just rinse them out good once used then fill it up with 2oz of bleach and water and in 24-48 hours its spotless.

I still use my 5 gal bucket for my primary. I guess that I have been to lazy to buy another glass carboy for the primary;) No issues here with the bucket.

No problem with that. When I first started brewing I used the plasic bucket for most of my beers. I started using glass then... and now that I am getting back into brewing... bought glass as a primary simply for one reason. I know myself.... I just can't leave it alone. Gotta see if something is going on. With glass you can see everything and you dont have to open the lid. The fact that you are making good beer says a lot. The method you have works:)

I transfer to glass secondary, but I still use the plastic for a primary. I have two of them. I take care not to scratch them, and always sanitize them thoroughly. Plus the spigot at the bottom makes transfer really easy. One less siphon to start. Havn't had a bad batch yet...(knock, knock);)

If we all had the money I guess we'd all be brewing in stainless steel like the pro's but we don't. So go with what you feel comfortable with. I have a homebrew book that recomends black plastic refuse bins open topped! (non food grade)
I splashed out on a couple of plastic carboys but would happily brew with my blastic buckets again.

I have all buckets. Don't care to deal with the extra weight of glass. SS is within my budget, but I can't justify that much money.

I prefer glass for two reasons.
1. It's fascinating to watch the fermentation proceeed.
2. The plastic bucket is so useful for sanitizing everything.
Of course, I could always buy an extra plastic bucket. Plastic is within my budget;) but I'm just too cheap:D

I agree I would be fascinated to watch what is going on. At my workplace we always have empty 5 gal. jugs from the water tank, basically plastic carboys. I have considered taking one, just so I can see what is going on during fermentation, I think I just might.

I think it's a question of durability and odds. The permeability factor is really a non issue. Plastic is convenient. The open top makes it really easy to clean. But plastic scratches easily and scratches do not sanitize well (if at all). Glass has some inherent dangers, but they are easily manageable and are no more effort than the care required with plastic to keep from scratching it.

If you ever make a bad batch of beer and are fermenting in plastic, the plastic is always a prime suspect. Not necessarily the root cause, but certainly a potential one. If you ferment in glass and observe a good cleaning regimen, it's not. In other words, the odds are better with glass.

Yes, people make beer in plastic all the time. But I won't. It's too much work to make beer and then have something as simple as a scratch on a plastic bucket trash all your hard work. Any step I can take to stack the odds in my favor is worthwhile. Plus, seeing into the fermenter is really cool.....

For brewers just starting out, plastic is fine for a few batches. But if you plan to stick with the hobby, glass is a very worthwhile upgrade.

Prosit!

I haven't heard anything on plastic carboys like they have on water coolers. Seems like they would be lighter and provide a good visual on fermentation...

WhatsOnTap said:
I haven't heard anything on plastic carboys like they have on water coolers. Seems like they would be lighter and provide a good visual on fermentation...

I use them. I have two glass and two water cooler plastic 5 gal carboys. They work fine and seem to be fairly O2 resistant. You need a number 6 or 7 bung. You can see the fermentation too, though glass is clearer.

Just remember the palstic is a bit flexible so pull out the air lock before lifting the carboy as it will inhale through the airlock. ALternativley you can stick your carboys (Glass or plastic) in a milk crate and use that for lifting etc.

The water cooler carboys are easy to aquire for free or cheap though for $20 Can glass isn't that expensive.

If you want more brewing buckets for free, look for a uvin that uses the big kits that come in a 6 gal bucket. They usually throw the buckets out afterword. Depends on the U-Vin though. I manged to get 10 buckets and I can get more any time. They seemed happy to get rid of the pile! I sue them for storing grains, etc. and as fermenters if needed.

I use 3 plastic buckets for both primary and secondary. same lids and seals they came with 15-20 batches later. I myself use about 3-5 cups of bleach fill it up to the top with cold water getting all inner surface covered. swirl the lid and coat both sides of lid. sit lid on top. swirl lid a few more times as I'm brewing or getting set up (1/2 hour or more). also keep racking cane and tubes filled with bleach water, etc in there as well everything but rubber stoppers, airlocks, bottle caps (one-step sanitizer for them close to work area) I then rinse all well with HOT water good to go. cleaning is the same exact steps but I wipe out sludge with paper towels first and then wipe down with 100% bleach till clean (wear gloves) fill with couple cups of bleach - fill to top, etc. soak 1/2 hour. rinse and just let air dry and put away. they do have some light scratches but have never let me down with this cleaning method as what could possible live with that much bleach. rinse well you have no leftover bleach smell at all. I'd love glass but seams like too much weight and work to clean, etc. whatever works for you like everyone says.

david_42 said:
I have all buckets. Don't care to deal with the extra weight of glass. SS is within my budget, but I can't justify that much money.

The other problem with the conicals is, that they don't fit in the fridge. And if they fit, you can only fit one of them in there. This means you have to get the cooling kit to brew lagers. And now we are talking about a lot of money.

No, I still like my glass carboys. I can fit 3 of them in the firdge and like how I can see what's going on.

Kai

I found glass 5 gallon jugs at "Kitchen & Company" in New Churchman's Road in Christiana Delaware. I think it's a chain store.

I got mine for $12.99.

BTW, first post... hello all!
-Dave

My local HBS has glass carboys for no more than $27 for a 6.5 gallon one, and has several size gradients below that for a little less. If I went with glass, I would go for the 6.5 gallon. The additional cost is only a couple of bucks.

SteveM said:
My local HBS has glass carboys for no more than $27 for a 6.5 gallon one, and has several size gradients below that for a little less. If I went with glass, I would go for the 6.5 gallon. The additional cost is only a couple of bucks.

If / when you do get glass, the 5's are actually more convenient for secondary purposes. 6.5 certainly for your primary though.

I'll take whatever I can get. I have a hodge podge of carboys ranging from 5 to 6.5 gallons. The 6.5 are old kind that they used to use for transporting sulfuric acid. The 5-6 gallon ones are your standard run of the mill carboys.

Plastic, Glass and, Stainless steel all have their merits. iThe reality of it is, in the end what really matters is what works best for you within your budget in your brewery.

Back