Maris Otter smelled like wet dog in mash - great afterward.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kh54s10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Otter's Nuggets Pale SMaSH 5gal
Type: All Grain Date: 10/5/2012

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 100.0 %
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 2 19.5 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 3 -
1.00 Items Wort Chiller (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 4 -
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 14.1 IBUs
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 6 -
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 7 1.7 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 8 -

Created with BeerSmith

When I first added the grain to the mash water it gave off a smell like wet dog.

When doing my vorlauf it smelled great.

Missed my preboil by .005

Any ideas on what this recipe will taste like? I had to do it because of the name and anatomical innuendo. Is that the right word?

I'm a maris otter homer. I think it's a great tasting, forgiving malt. It's pretty well rounded enough to work with just about most styles.

I think ALL the mashes smell funny when I mash in in some cases, but once the wort gets going.. It smells awesome. Only mashes that make me want to drink it on the spot are porters and stouts.

I think the mash smells good but not the boil, but maybe just at first when I put the hops in.Otherwise I like to open the windows and doors during the boil,mainly because of moisture and the strong smell.

Its a good malt base that alot enjoy in pale ales. Im a nugget fan but havent tried the combo yet,but pretty much would know I would like it. I used MO in alot of MIld esb a few ipa/pales on alot my last brewed batches, I think and have seemed to like them maybe more sometimes that some 2row-depending.

Back