First Time Keger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrimalBrewer

Reaction score
Ok, I am sure there is a post somewhere on here about it, but I am hoping that I can get a couple quick thoughts on this Kegerator:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Danby-5.2-cu-ft-Beer-Dispenser-Cooler-for-1-2-and-1-4-Kegs/14978083

I am looking to keg in about 10 days and that is the ship-to-store time if I order tomorrow. Any guidance is appreciated and I will continue to look through the older threads for the wisdom I hope to find. Thanks ya'll and brew on!

PS - I know its not the best setup, but I am sure I can upgrade it to a 2-keg system in the future since its 5.2cu ft.

I just wanted to add that I would be open to other options up to about $450 or so. I am a amazon Prime member so I can get free shipping from them as well. Thanks again!

There is nothing at all wrong with this setup. I bought the same one a few weeks ago and have my first keg sitting in it. I did buy different lines because the lines it comes with are too short. You can always replace the tower later if you want to go with two taps. I'm lovin' it!

Sounds great! I already have upgraded lines, fittings, and regulator so I should be ok there. I just want to make sure it can get sub 40deg. I'm excited to try a lager eventually with it too.

I got my kegerator at home depot for $350 on clearance. I see a lot of site sell 2 or 3 tap towers for a few hundred. You can easily modify these retail kegerators for less then a hundred.

Are you going to serve out of corny kegs? Cause you'll have to change out the disconnect, not too hard.

In general these units are nice of you want something that works and looks good, and you want it now. But if you have the space, think about a keezer. You could customize the components,like Perlick taps, and they'll hold more kegs.

dbrewski - I will be serving out of soda kegs and already have all the hardware to set it up with whatever kegerator I pick up.

Sounds like you should pull the trigger then! Nothing more exciting than new equipment IMO. I bought this beat up old kegerator with one tap to use at work and I'm trying to configure it for two taps. Not exactly a plug and play proposition so far. If there is such a thing as a double tap kegerator it might be worth it.

There is, but they tend to be about 200-300 more and the dual tap setup would be about 120 to purchase. I'll probably do that in a year or two.

So I go to make the purchase this morning and what do I find? A Walmart price jump of $40! WTF? At $480 shipped w/protection plan for 3 years not sure if its a good deal when I can grab the Igloo one for $50 bucks less... Oh well, I guess I can always upgrade more than I planned!

Well, I just went ahead with the 6.0cuft Igloo setup. I figure it was pretty cheap and a 3yr warranty isn't bad. The only downside that I can see to this is the CO2 tank has to be stored inside the unit, but I'll live. Now I think I just have to make sure I have the right size lines.

If you are talking on the beer side, use 3/16" beer line, not the 1/4". I use between 8 and 10 feet in length to keep the foam down.

Latest posts

Back