3 or 4 way CO2 regulators?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizardofza

Reaction score
Does anyone know of where I can find 3 or 4-way C02 regulators? I've been searching ebay, but all I see are two-way ones.

Or let me ask this : as an alternative, would two 2-way regulators work with some type of split or distributor coming from my keg?

I'm rigging up a chest freezer unit and want 4 taps, but can't seem to find a 4-way and would be willing to go with two 2-ways if using a splitting mechanism would work.

Anyone have any recommendations?

My ASCII art skills suck, but this is what I'm thinking of doing if I can't get a 4-way:

oops - forgot to mention that I DO have a regulator on my CO2 tank already. Just wanted to mention that :)

Code:
                                   |-----------------------KEG1                                                                                           
 co2        |----------------------| <-- 2-way regulator 1
|==|        |                      |-----------------------KEG2
|  |--------| <- distributor
|  |        |                      |-----------------------KEG3
|==|        |----------------------| <-- 2-way regulator 2
                                   |-----------------------KEG4

Would this even work??

My 4 tap set up has a 2 guage regulator coming off the tank, then to a 4 way in-line regulator so I can control 4 different PSI's.

Kilted Brewer said:
My 4 tap set up has a 2 guage regulator coming off the tank, then to a 4 way in-line regulator so I can control 4 different PSI's.

Right, that's what I'm looking for ideally, a 4-way regulator coming off my tank that has the 2-gauge single-way regulator.

I'm just wondering in spite of getting a 4-way, if two 2-way w/ a distributor would work.

Where did you get your 4-way?

chris21274 said:
Where did you get your 4-way?

eBay. They aren't "cheap" but I found better prices on eBay then anywhere else.
d_4022.jpg

So, back up for a second.

Do you NEED the ability to set four different pressures? Most setups I have seen, people can set maybe two different pressures. That's easy to do. But you really want to be able to fine-tune, set one beer at 6PSI, another at 10PSI, a third at 8PSI, etc?

the_bird said:
So, back up for a second.

Do you NEED the ability to set four different pressures? Most setups I have seen, people can set maybe two different pressures. That's easy to do. But you really want to be able to fine-tune, set one beer at 6PSI, another at 10PSI, a third at 8PSI, etc?

I don't know, do I?

I guess I was just going with the thinking that maybe I will sometime in the future, but maybe its overkill?

I've read that different beers sometimes take different pressures. That was the only reason I was thinking of going with a 4-way.

What you're looking for is a manifold if you want to be able to shut off the gas to each keg independently. If you don't care about the shutoffs, you can simply daisy chain inexpensive hose barb Tees.

The setup I'm putting together uses two single regulators and a four-way distributor. I set the first regulator at a high pressue (30PSI) for force-carbing. The line is then split, one side going to the keg that I'm force-carbing, the second line to the second regulator, which is set at 8PSI. This then feeds into a four-way distributor, each with shutoffs, so that I can have four kegs hooked up, each to 8 PSI. If I wanted something at 12PSI, I could drop the pressure in the first regulator to that and have one beer at 12.

So, I don't have COMPLETE flexibility, but it's a lot cheaper than buying half a dozen regulators!

I personally have a primary and then a 3-reg secondary bank. Technically, I can run 4 discrete pressures (one split off the primary and 3 off the secondaries). The truth is, I set the regs to about the same pressure because I like about 2 volumes of carbonation in just about any style. If you want SOME flexibility, get a dual primary (that's two discrete regs). This is not to be confused with a dual gauge primary. A dual primary has one high pressure gauge and two low pressure gauges. Of course, you can add on anytime you want. You'll probably run one output to a manifold with three output hoses and the other reg to a single line. That would be your Hefe line and run it at high pressure. You might also have instead of a hefe, an English mild where you run it at 1.3 volumes. It all depends on the variety of styles you keep on tap at any given time.

Again, I think one pressure is probably fine at first.

I've got about 30 secondary regulators (got them as part of a lot of beer equipment).....but i have yet to use any of them because i find that I usually only need a couple different pressures for what I have on tap, i.e. something to run with high carb and low carb. I find that temp control has a bigger effect than the pressure you are using for carbonation

Shockerengr said:
I've got about 30 secondary regulators (got them as part of a lot of beer equipment).....but i have yet to use any of them because i find that I usually only need a couple different pressures for what I have on tap, i.e. something to run with high carb and low carb. I find that temp control has a bigger effect than the pressure you are using for carbonation

Wanna sell some? ;)

the_bird said:
The setup I'm putting together uses two single regulators and a four-way distributor. I set the first regulator at a high pressue (30PSI) for force-carbing. The line is then split, one side going to the keg that I'm force-carbing, the second line to the second regulator, which is set at 8PSI. This then feeds into a four-way distributor, each with shutoffs, so that I can have four kegs hooked up, each to 8 PSI. If I wanted something at 12PSI, I could drop the pressure in the first regulator to that and have one beer at 12.

So, I don't have COMPLETE flexibility, but it's a lot cheaper than buying half a dozen regulators!

I'm assuming that your setup works as long as you don't draw from more than one keg connected to the distributor simultaneously, right? I'm thinking this would probably cause pressure issues?

Maybe this would work for me. Definitely cheaper!

Bobby_M said:
I personally have a primary and then a 3-reg secondary bank. Technically, I can run 4 discrete pressures (one split off the primary and 3 off the secondaries). The truth is, I set the regs to about the same pressure because I like about 2 volumes of carbonation in just about any style. If you want SOME flexibility, get a dual primary (that's two discrete regs). This is not to be confused with a dual gauge primary. A dual primary has one high pressure gauge and two low pressure gauges. Of course, you can add on anytime you want. You'll probably run one output to a manifold with three output hoses and the other reg to a single line. That would be your Hefe line and run it at high pressure. You might also have instead of a hefe, an English mild where you run it at 1.3 volumes. It all depends on the variety of styles you keep on tap at any given time.

Again, I think one pressure is probably fine at first.

Hmmm. The dual primary might be the way to go. Definitely cheaper! What size tubing do you recommend?

If you want to run a couple of different pressures and you already have primary regulator, check out the thread.

I realize it is an old thread but guess what... They still have them, least they did when I ordered on Sunday. Get two (or possibly even one if you are creative) if you want to have 2 different pressures. They are $5.75 each. You will then need a regulator gauge for each one ~$6-10 depending on where you get them and how accurate they are. A brass nipple to connect them together (if you got more than one) and a hose barb to connect to the primary. Then, you can either attach a manifold or use inexpensive T's to connect multiple kegs to each secondary.

Good luck. Mine should be here tomorrow! Gotta get the other parts and I'm good to go!! :ban:

knights of Gambrinus said:
If you want to run a couple of different pressures and you already have primary regulator, check out the thread.

I realize it is an old thread but guess what... They still have them, least they did when I ordered on Sunday. Get two (or possibly even one if you are creative) if you want to have 2 different pressures. They are $5.75 each. You will then need a regulator gauge for each one ~$6-10 depending on where you get them and how accurate they are. A brass nipple to connect them together (if you got more than one) and a hose barb to connect to the primary. Then, you can either attach a manifold or use inexpensive T's to connect multiple kegs to each secondary.

Good luck. Mine should be here tomorrow! Gotta get the other parts and I'm good to go!! :ban:

Score! Thanks for the tip. I just ordered 4, just in case.

Back