Yeast storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jslay77

Reaction score
How long do most folks here store yeast? I like this idea:
http://uk-homebrew.tripod.com/id45.html

However my local micro brewmaster mentioned that his yeast doesn't last more than 2 weeks. I'm assuming this is because he stores it in cornies with no real food of any kind (pure yeast extracted from the conicals)

How long have you guys been able to store viable yeast to pitch to starters in future batches and how do you store it?

What type of yeast, dry or liquid? As long as its refrigerated it should last awhile, dry longer than liquid, the microbrew guy is talking about harvested yeast and that won't last as long

If you look at the link I posted you will get some idea of what I'm after. I harvest my own and clean it up a bit. Then grow it big and split it. It was liquid to start if that matters at all.

I read through the link and according to the producer of the site he / she claims the supply will last 6-8 months. I'm not a huge harvester of yeast so I can't say for sure but I would assume some degradation over time and he probably uses these as the base of subsequent starters for each brew made. seems like it would work well as long as you make a new starter for each batch to ensure the stored yeast is still a viable.

How long you can store yeast depend on how you do it. I looked at the split starter method that was linked and I would not keep those for more than a few months.

IMO some of the procedures posted are not the best ways.

I freeze my yeast and feel I can keep some for a year or more.
Here is a link to my thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/i-may-never-wash-yeast-again-316478/

Thanks for the replies. I actually have done this a few times now. Yes I use them for starters. I basically feed them well. Get them big then split them into 12 bottles and cap em. I keep the 12 pack in the fridge and break one out 4 days before brew day and grow the starter nice and big. Seems to work well. I really just wondered if anyone else does this and how long they have stored them successfully. I haven't gone more than 2 months so far.

I've successfully repitched slurries after they've sat in my fridge for 6 months. Fermentation start up takes about 36 hours, but the fermentation completes just fine after that. I've reused slurries of WLP029, US-05, S-04, and Wyeast 1469.

I make a big starter, and then take off a half pint and keep that in the fridge. It will keep for a long time, and when i get around to using it, I make a big starter again, and then take off another half pint, ready for next time. It will keep for a year.

In the mean time I am re-using part of the cake for subsequent brews. This way I only have a half pint mason jar in the fridge (not a 12-pack), and can easily get 20+ brews out of a vial.

Now ...... when I add that I also freeze samples, I can probably get 100+ out of a single vial.

To date I think the max I have gotten is about 20 beers, but that strain is still alive. I like to run a variety of different styles and different yeasts within a style, so it has taken years to get that 20 brews done from a single strain.

Now I have a large stable of yeast, I probably buy one new yeast each year.

Thanks for the replies. I actually have done this a few times now. Yes I use them for starters. I basically feed them well. Get them big then split them into 12 bottles and cap em. I keep the 12 pack in the fridge and break one out 4 days before brew day and grow the starter nice and big. Seems to work well. I really just wondered if anyone else does this and how long they have stored them successfully. I haven't gone more than 2 months so far.

You make 12 batches in 2 months. 3 batches every 2 weeks! How about some variety?

I haven't used all 12 in two months. I have several still sitting in the fridge.

As far as variety is concerned, I brew what I like to drink mostly. Ill branch out one day. :). Maybe.

I usually save off the slurry from the bottom of the fermenter once it is complete. Let it sit for a day in the fridge to settle into layers, then decant the yeast part into a small jar. When needed I just build it up with a starter or if it hasn't been too long I can pitch it directly. This has worked well for me so far.

On my last brew I ran off an extra gallon of (batch sparge) third runnings and direct pitched some 7 month old White Labs British Ale slurry that was taking up some space in the fridge. Fermentation started 24 hours later and I ended up with a gallon of tasty beer, going to call it a Pale Mild for want of a better category!

Back