Screwed up, loose hops in the keg - how do I fix it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortyjacobs

Reaction score
Aight guys, I've got a party in 5 days, a party I promised to bring 2 kegs to in my Jeep Grand Beerokee.

I threw the kegs on the gas tonight to carb up, (no worries about that), and thought, ooh, I'll dry hop the IPA. Like an idiot, I just dumped in ~1 oz of centennial pellet hops, loose. No bag, (which I always do normally). I don't know how I screwed up.

SO, who's done this before? Last and only time I did it, I clogged my diptube something fierce and had to literally POUR the beer out of the keg, I lost a lot of beer that day.

I figure my options are Nylon bag, SS scrubbie, or something else around the bottom of the diptube before jumping to a fresh keg. Anyone done this? Any tips??

Ahha, that's the type of info I was looking for. Any tips on how to keep the scrubby on the tip of the diptube? I figure in a few days I'm gonna have to pull the diptube almost all the way out, then reach in, (trying not to put my hand in the beer too much), and attach the scrubby to the bottom of the tube.

This is gonna be a tin-plated-b!tch. I wish I hadn't been in such a rush :-(

As far as the scrubbie goes, when you shove it on there, it's not coming off. The pressure plus the insertion is enough to keep it in place.

Or siphon through a nylon straining bag into a new keg? May loose a little co2 but thats easy to fix.

Just get your arm nice and clean the night before, pull the dip tube out enought to get the ss scrubby on and you should be good.
I had a problem doing it that way up until the dip tube was un-clogged. Since your pulling it out, give it a clean before putting the scrubby on.
Don't worry about contamination unless you have left overs. a clean arm may have microbes but could take days to populate to a noticeably affected beer.

Holy hannah, scrubbie did not work. I put the scrubbie in a few days ago, with zipties to hold it onto the diptube. Today I tried to transfer, and even with 40 PSI pushing, the beer wouldn't move.

After many trial and errors, I ended up having to buy a 1 gal paint strainer. I put the paint strainer over the diptube of the keg I was transferring IN to. I removed the poppets from both the posts, and from both of the quick disconnects, (hops were clogging all 4). Finally, I was able to push the beer from the FROM keg to the TO keg. Once that was done, I pulled up the diptube on the TO keg, and removed the paintstrainer, now filled with hop matter. I then replaced all my poppets. Voila, clear and clean keg. Sure was a PITA though.

Back